Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
The proposal...would not affect members of Congress or their staffs, defense contractors, postal workers or federal court judges and workers.

"I did not reach this decision easily, this is not a line item on a federal ledger, these are people's lives," Obama said.

But, he added, "getting this deficit under control is going to require some broad sacrifice, and that sacrifice must be shared by the employees of the federal government."

Congress, not covered by Obama's new freeze plans as separate branch of government, froze its pay last April, with House and Senate votes to forgo an automatic $1,600 annual cost of living increase.

Obama indicated there were other belt-tightening steps ahead. "We're going to have to make some additional very tough decisions that this town has put off for a very long time," he said. At the same time, noting continued economic weakness, Obama said, "We can't put the brakes on too quickly" because of the still-fragile economy.

Jeffrey Zients, deputy White House budget director, told reporters the two-year freeze on Executive Branch civilian workers was "the first of many difficult steps ahead that we'll be taking in the upcoming budget to put our nation on sound fiscal footing, steps that will ask for all of us to sacrifice."
Ok, so this measure will ask for all of us to sacrifice. Well, all of us except Congress, postal workers, the military, and federal court workers. The only ones of that group that I understand is the military. Most are vastly underpaid (enlisted, anyway) and have to sacrifice a lot. But why do postal workers get a break? Shocking that Congress opted not to take a direct pay raise, but I'd be willing to bet most made up for it with other forms of compensation.

Also, there are MANY other things that need to be cut in government spending. I'd really like to know what is planned, but I doubt they're cutting out all the pet projects and other crap. There is way too much bullshit that gets thrown into bills. If we cut out all of that BS, we might actually be able to get back into profit. This is nothing more than a simple way to put on the appearance of cutting spending, while not actually getting into the meat of the whole thing.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Ok, so this measure will ask for all of us to sacrifice. Well, all of us except Congress, postal workers, the military, and federal court workers. The only ones of that group that I understand is the military. Most are vastly underpaid (enlisted, anyway) and have to sacrifice a lot. But why do postal workers get a break? Shocking that Congress opted not to take a direct pay raise, but I'd be willing to bet most made up for it with other forms of compensation.

Also, there are MANY other things that need to be cut in government spending. I'd really like to know what is planned, but I doubt they're cutting out all the pet projects and other crap. There is way too much bullshit that gets thrown into bills. If we cut out all of that BS, we might actually be able to get back into profit. This is nothing more than a simple way to put on the appearance of cutting spending, while not actually getting into the meat of the whole thing.
Postal Service is effectively its own self sufficient entity. They are not paid for by tax dollars

something along those lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer

Last edited by pauldun170; 12-01-2010 at 11:40 AM..
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Congress is definitely overpaid. But I believe they have already fronzen their pay at "only" $174k.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Postal Service is effectively its own self sufficient entity. They are not paid for by tax dollars

something along those lines
Well when you can put a gun to your competitors and not allow them to also deliver 1st class mail, then you have one hell of a monopoly. If 1st class mail was allowed to be delivered by the private sector, the postal service would wash up. If anything they'd only deliver junk mail becuase I wouldn't be suprised if UPS, Fedex, etc didn't ship junk mail becuase the customers wouldn't like it.