Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 09-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
CasterTroy

Default The motard and the Carolinas

Since Brians crash.....I've decided that I won't be railing 421, 89, 66, 129 etc the way I had.

While the motard has allowed me to almost double my speed thru the tight stuff since the days of my TLR out with Clay and the boys at shady.....the wake up call came last weekend with a hard slap.

My question is 2 fold.
  • Where are the tighter tracks near me? (Winston Salem, NC)

Both VIR and CMP are great tracks...but they both have straights that would devour me on any given track day event
  • Are there organizations that cater to motards?

I know there are MINI-motard groups like SEMRA, but wasn't sure if there was a NESBA for motards

Supermotojunkie had more on/off road type true AMA style motard info...I'm not looking for anything dirt or jumps, just tight corners to haul ass thru

Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Troy, I don't have any specific info on racing, only mini-racing as a concept.

I used to import and race pocket bikes. Not the shitty Asian things - real mini GP racing bikes (think 2-wheel analog to shifter kart racing). These things were carbon fiber, billet aluminum, trellis framed hand made works of miniaturized motor art, made by private Italian racing families, aftermarket parts manufacturers, and racing teams...some costing upwards of $3800.

I learned something messing with these little evil two-strokes from hell. Actually, I learned a lot of shit. Throttle control, for one. Nothing will loop faster than an open class pocket. Balance, for another.

Remember: You have effectively a shorter lever with a smaller bike. The balance point is close, and the bike is many times more reactive. You can balance a broom on your hand, right? How about a pencil? No. Why? Shorter lever, goes over center faster, and thus "telegraphs" its motion less, thus you have less time to compensate with balance.

When you get back on the big bike, it feels like slow motion - the bike can do no wrong, can't surprise you...it's totally slow-mo.

What I'm saying is; There is no shame in racing minis. Yes, they may look a little dorky, but the costs are far less than full-sized racing, placing it more in the budget of the average person being able to really afford it over time, when one can really improve their skills...and the thrills and challenges aren't any less, they're actually more.

I presume mini-motard is no different, and is a fucking scream.

Keeping the more extreme riding to just the track is always just good sense.

Last edited by Avatard; 09-15-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Hey Troy,

VIR Patriot course is a motard's wet dream. Also, North has ONE long straight but the rest is great riding for Motard's too. If I can't pass a motard early in the straight, I'll just hang back and let them have their fun in the twisties. No sense late braking them just to park it in front of them in their playground.

CMP has no long straight, but it fairly high speed in general. Summit Point Shenandoah is the only track I've ridden where liter bikes have a ~1 second handicap to 600's. And motards rule the day there.

Those are the best local track options, IMO. It doesn't sound like much, but VIR North and Patriot alone will keep you happy for a long time!

Let me know when you want to head to any of them, I'd be more than happy to meet you there (or pick you up if we head to Summit Point or something far away).
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
What I'm saying is; There is no shame in racing minis. Yes, they may look a little dorky

You've got an EXCELENT point, and Clay has tried to talk me into that...but at 6'-2", me on a mini-ANYTHING is like a monkey humping a football

I'm not at all concerned what others think, but, comfort and getting the bike set-up for my big ass may be difficult.

Still...not something I'll write off totally

Thanks for the imput!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Hey Troy,

VIR Patriot course is a motard's wet dream. Also, North has ONE long straight

yeah I've been on North with the TLR....the straight along the pits was wicked!!!

But you're right, the OTHER 90% is awesome.

I've been on the south in a prep'd GTI, and done BOTH in a RX7 endurance a few years ago.

I need to check out patriot....is that somewhere else on the campus?

Quote:
Hey Troy,

CMP has no long straight
Well except that section after the carousel...goes into a deep dip, then a SUPER hard right. I'd be passed by everything till that hard 90, then it's those technical short switch-backs which I could molest everyone on but then I'd get waxed again after turn 4(I think it is)
Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
yeah I've been on North with the TLR....the straight along the pits was wicked!!!

But you're right, the OTHER 90% is awesome.

I've been on the south in a prep'd GTI, and done BOTH in a RX7 endurance a few years ago.

I need to check out patriot....is that somewhere else on the campus?
Patriot course is nestled right in the middle of North and South, using bits of each course:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Well except that section after the carousel...goes into a deep dip, then a SUPER hard right. I'd be passed by everything till that hard 90, then it's those technical short switch-backs which I could molest everyone on but then I'd get waxed again after turn 4(I think it is)
True, I forget about that one (I ran VIR full before going there so any straight <4000' felt like a quick sprint ). You'd definitely be dicing it up with the same people all day... you'd see them before the high speed right, then roll by in the switchbacks.

Check this strack out too. I wish there were a 3D map of it so you could see the 13% grading on some of it... still my favorite track of all time:

ETA: The pair of underwear in the middle is pit road, pit in, and pit out. The rest is up to the org how they want to configure the track. LOTS of options, and the long straight on the left I only get to wind out 3rd gear on my bike, so it's not that long. (read: those areas that look tight are INSANE)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shenandoah.JPG (38.4 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by fasternyou929; 09-15-2009 at 04:55 PM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Look for shifter kart tracks. Most of them do double-duty as motard tracks.

Also, just because a track has jumps and a dirt section doesn't mean you have to take it. It's usually optional. Most people just skip the dirt, it's just idiots like me that go get our street bikes all dirty.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

if you want to get into Mini Motards. Planetminis.com is the place to start. That is where I got my mini motard and the knowledge base and area riding opportunities will be found there. There is more open in North Carolina than East Tenn, so your options my open there. I think they are more about dirt over there though. We have a mini motard/shifter kart track opening not too far from my place sometime soon though. I am totally going to crank my racing up once that place opens.

I have always wanted to ride a good Italian pocket bike. The blatas and polinis I have ridden were pure shit next to our 88/108cc honda fiddys. The ones on youtube that do the mini gp look a shitload better than the crap we have around here. The blatas/polinis I have seen cost the owner around 3k, so they werent cheap, but they just sucked for some reason. We had to ban them from our mini races because they were in the way more than they were racing. Maybe it was cause of the elevation changes we run, I have never seen a good pocketbike mini gp race with elevation changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
CasterTroy

Quote:
Patriot course is nestled right in the middle of North and South, using bits of each course:

Hmmm as many tiems as I've been there, I've never seen that run (they were always running north and south at the same time)

Quote:

Check this strack out too
HOLY CRAP!!

Is that the one they're trying to put near Salisbury?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
zer0t
Kneedragger

Moto: 2003 FLSTCI 2008 KTM RC8

I have a 2006 CRF50 laying around an now I want to make it a mini-motard after looking at that forum! I wonder if anyone makes a kit to do the conversion.
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0t View Post
I have a 2006 CRF50 laying around an now I want to make it a mini-motard after looking at that forum! I wonder if anyone makes a kit to do the conversion.
You don't need a kit.

Spoon on some 10 inch TT91's and you've got a Motard.

Take it to the local kart track and get your butt handed to you. That's when the mods start.