Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 09-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

This will be a shock to some. But what i would do is install the pipes and air cleaner yourself. Ride it to the shop and let them install the PCIII and custom tune it.

The closed loop FI system will adapt enough to get the bike there. Hell it will adapt enough to ride just that way. Regardless of what the shop will say. The PC will give you better mpg, cool down the motor a bit, and give it better throttle response.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
This will be a shock to some. But what i would do is install the pipes and air cleaner yourself. Ride it to the shop and let them install the PCIII and custom tune it.

The closed loop FI system will adapt enough to get the bike there. Hell it will adapt enough to ride just that way. Regardless of what the shop will say. The PC will give you better mpg, cool down the motor a bit, and give it better throttle response.
i thought of doing exactly that at first. two things got in the way. first I'm dumb enough to think I may be able to tackle this. second the shops I talked to (3) won't put in the PCIII because they know a guy who fried his ECM with it, they recommend a screaming eagle product that is $200 more and only they have the maps and what not for it.
I don't mind them recommending their product. obviously they want to sell the HD stuff first but when all three gave the same scripted story about a guy frying his ECM I become immediately suspicious that mine would have issues if I had them put in the PCIII. Not that a mechanic would ever do anything to sabotage a vehicle.
I think my problem is I spent a number of years riding metric bikes. I know who the good guys are and who the slimeballs are. In the HD world here I haven't talked to a service tech yet when I didn't feel the need for a shower after talking to him just to clean the slime off that he was spewing. they all of course brag about their shops but.............

I was checking out a chopper that came out of one of the shops. Got to talking to the owner. asked what he brought it in for. just a wash. Oh, I was going to tell you it was nice to see a bike as dirty as mine out there. they didn't touch his bike other then to hose it off.
service writer promised to make it right after he said something. do they really need to be told to actually wash a bike when that was all it came in for? mech had lost a little time on other jobs and was looking for an easy make up.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Well u may consider a private shop to do the pcIII and dyno tune. However, I think if the hd dealer does it, it don't void ur warrenty.

The se tuner is decent but I wouldn't say its the best. Hv u checked arnd more? Try some hd forums? I'm also on www.aimag.com forum and there is lots of info on thr abt tuners.

Also check out night riders site. He has lots of tech docs and a nice forum u can search. Can't wait for the inline xieds are available for the 09 flh's. They get u cooler motor and slighty better response by simply fooling the O2 sensor into telling the ecm to put in more gas to richen up the super lean epa mix they hv to hv from moco.

I'd link ya some stuff but posting on phone as I'm out in pa for the rally.

Later!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Yeah I have a couple other sites I use. everyone I know personally has the PCIII they seem to love it and have ahd few issues.

there is a cat named Jamie from fuel moto who will send the PCIII pre programmed for your pipes and intake and gives great customer service according to folks. May give him a shout in time for it. Still kicking around the idea of finding a shop to do it as I was worried that there goes the warranty.
I know a couple shops could do it. Have to see where the thoughts are when the time comes. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
zer0t
Kneedragger

Moto: 2003 FLSTCI 2008 KTM RC8

If you use a SERT it doesn't void the warranty either. Same thing for a TTS mastertune (which is basically a SERT).

I also agree whole heartedly with GasMan. Having a professional tuner dyno tune the bike is priceless. They run smoother (no flat spots, or decel pop), cooler and they wring out a bit more HP and torque. I think having my bike professionaly tuned was the best investment I made.

Last edited by zer0t; 10-12-2009 at 12:02 PM..
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #16
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Further, if you have it done at a HD dealer you're able to retain your warrenty.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product