Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.
Default thinking about going in a new motorcycling direction

It seems that going fast and taking corners at super fast speeds, while fun, is something I'm kinda finding isnt what I want to do as a rider long term. granted I enjoy twisties, I want something different, and more day to day oriented than racebike derived. I suppose you could say I'm just becoming a more or less mature rider, and wanting something I can enjoy seeing the sights on. call me nuts, but I want to go slower and enjoy life.

Taking a new 1200 sportster, and making a chopper. I was at the harley dealer looking at em today, and they just had two older ones with this certain look that jsut begged to be raked out a few degrees or so.

Now the idea is really churning in my head, and I want to try and come up with some ideas on how to make a chopper thta looks cool, but is also practical as an everyday bike.

Right now I'm envisioning something like the captain america chopper from the easy rider movie, but with a less extreme front end.

what say y'all?
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Gee I wouldn't know anything about this topic.

But I will tell you this. Chopper and everyday bike don't go hand in hand.

If you want a chopper and really do. Consider just buying a factory custom. Right now you can get a 2 yr old bdm for about 50% of new. Or in the mid teens. Its crazy right now.

Honestly... for me to type out everything on this subject is just crazy. I'm more than willing to give you my phone number and we can chat on the subject...

But remember I don't know anything about the topic....

After my build

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
BobTheBiker

I should mention this will be like a 2nd bike that I could take when I feel the urge to ride it. I realize that it'll have that lack of rear suspension, and be unpleasant in that aspect at least. Maybe I'll just find something of an old sporty and just ride it.

I kinda expected you to chime in GM.

The chopper idea is just one of those you see a bike that has a certain look and just visualize it raked out a bit, and the right pipes. its just that you see it and the vision comes forth from the fog. Its not something I'm dead set on doing, but if I found the right project bike I'd probably build one.

Ultimately, I just need a change from plastic wrapped police magnets.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Don't start with a new bike. Given your love of tinkering, go find a hardtail frame that will accept a Sportster engine and look for a crashed donor bike or two. Remember... Buell XB's use Sportster engines
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

But I will tell you this. Chopper and everyday bike don't go hand in hand.
AYYYYMEN!

I've ridden a few back when I had the urge.....but ONLY consider one if it's a 2nd 3rd or 10th bike as it won't hardly EVER be ridden

I'm seriously considering a CBR 750 Four chopper build....just because I like OLD SKOOL choppers and not so much the "fluff" of the new

Especially after riding my buddies big dog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chop1.jpg (74.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'm about at this point as well. My next bike will most likely not be a sportbike. Haven't nailed down exactly what I want. But I have a couple in mind.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Don't start with a new bike. Given your love of tinkering, go find a hardtail frame that will accept a Sportster engine and look for a crashed donor bike or two. Remember... Buell XB's use Sportster engines
Agreed.

No offense to GM or anyone else that rode or "built" a modern chopper but those are a bastardation of the meaning of the word.

A true chopper is a bike that has had parts chopped off, welded on, cannibalized from other bikes and has more man hours invested than dollars.

I think the sporty build sounds great.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
BobTheBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Agreed.

No offense to GM or anyone else that rode or "built" a modern chopper but those are a bastardation of the meaning of the word.

A true chopper is a bike that has had parts chopped off, welded on, cannibalized from other bikes and has more man hours invested than dollars.

I think the sporty build sounds great.
PRECISELY my feelings. Its one thing to go out and buy a pre built chopper, but its 10000000X more fun to begin with a bike you like, and have vision for, and build it YOUR way. The whole point is to build something unique to your style and tastes.

in my ideal chopper, I'll actually keep rear suspension in the interests of having functionality and style.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
t-homo
WSB Champion

Why not try out like a bandit 1200 or fz or something like that before you 1000% switch styles. A standard is the ultimate day to day bike.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
BobTheBiker

Dont like the bandits, and not real into the FZ. Its just time for me to make a major life change in bikes. only fully faired bike I'll even bother with is a VFR or an FJR1300.

Lately, I think its more that the V twin rumble from a harley has really grown on me immensely, and I'm falling in love with it.