Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default Alpinestars Bionic kneeguards

I currently own Icon Field Armor leg guards and I've been VERY satisfied with them. After a number of years and 3 crashes they haven't let me down. Unfortunatey,the elastic is getting a bit weak and there's a crack in the left knee cup from my high-side and it's time to replace. Initially,I was just going to order more Icons until I noticed that our friends at A* now offer knee guards of their own and for only a few dollars more. What interests me most about them is that they are double articulated and secure higher up the leg. If anyone has any experience with this knee guard please let me know and I'll post an impression when I get them Tues/Weds.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 04-13-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Well unlike some people,I'm not married to any one brand of gear and like to sample what every company has to offer. I currently own Icon Field Armor leg guards and I've been VERY satisfied with them. After a number of years and 3 crashes they haven't let me down. Unfortunatey,the elastic is getting a bit weak and there's a crack in the left knee cup from my high-side and it's time to replace. Initially,I was just going to order more Icons until I noticed that our friends at A* now offer knee guards of their own and for only a few dollars more. What interests me most about them is that they are double articulated and secure higher up the leg. If anyone has any experience with this knee guard please let me know and I'll post an impression when I get them Tues/Weds.
You are one sour motherfucker.

How bout some pics for comparison? i've never tried kneeguards on.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I currently own Icon Field Armor leg guards and I've been VERY satisfied with them. After a number of years and 3 crashes they haven't let me down. Unfortunatey,the elastic is getting a bit weak and there's a crack in the left knee cup from my high-side and it's time to replace. Initially,I was just going to order more Icons until I noticed that our friends at A* now offer knee guards of their own and for only a few dollars more. What interests me most about them is that they are double articulated and secure higher up the leg. If anyone has any experience with this knee guard please let me know and I'll post an impression when I get them Tues/Weds.
Hey quit changing my posts BITCH!!! Ha just kidding! Hopefully that sweetens it up for you! Yea my attachment skills aren't very good but you can see both kneeguards online in the Parts Unlimited street catologue.

All bullshitting aside,I won't ride without them anymore! The Icon guards are super comfortable and I literally forget I have them on. Infact,I am still wearing them right now,no bullshit! Seriously bro,something IS better than nothing and if you don't want to wear leather pants all the time,this is the next best thing. Shit,if you wear these with reinforced riding jeans and the armored shorts,I think that you'd be pretty well protected.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 04-13-2008 at 07:05 PM..
Old 04-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

eh c'mon link me im interested. may want to pick some up for the commute when i'm sportin jeans.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
eh c'mon link me im interested. may want to pick some up for the commute when i'm sportin jeans.
Ok I tried you lazy bastard,if it's not right I don't want to hear about it!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 650637_black_red.jpg (28.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg showImageCA12O5V1.jpg (20.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

the a* looks more durable but the icon shit looks like it'll feel better... so yea, i just summed up your orriginal post.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
the a* looks more durable but the icon shit looks like it'll feel better... so yea, i just summed up your orriginal post.
summing up IS NOT one of my strong points for sure!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I have the Reflex knee/shin guards... they're nice and give better over all protection than the crap foam that came in my pants...

BUT... I wonder if they'd slide to the side in an accident. it doesn't take too much to slide them to the side as they only have two 1" elastic straps... both below the knee... so if you were to go down and end up sliding on your knees I have no doubt they'd dislodge... but for impact they'll be great.

again those are the reflex ones... not the ones your looking at. I liked Icon's design on how it's like a sock around the calf..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

I don't know about the kneeguards but I wear an A-Stars Bionic Vest under my leathers and I'm very happy with it. A-Stars makes some good stuff, for now.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

thanks Ebbs.
i was actually going to buy the A* Reflex ones, but after yur post i'm going
for the Icon leg armor.
i thought the same thing about the upper portion's design on the Reflex guards.