Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 07-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #181
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I see a number of Impalas, but I think the Crown Vics are a much better choice.
I am seeing more and more impalas, as well as chargers and challengers. The current problem with crown vics is that they arent making them any more 9or will stop very soon). The design is proven and has been for the last 3 decades with some upgrades. they are the staple of police force and taxi companies across america but their terrible fuel mileage and decades old and expensive design have forced people to look elsewhere at newer and cheaper designs.

A while back I read somewhere that most police forces that bought into the impalas were sorry they did, the abuse the cars took as daily cruisers were too much for the car and while they saved on initial purchase price and on fuel, maintenance and repair costs are astronomical
Old 07-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #182
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I am seeing more and more impalas, as well as chargers and challengers. The current problem with crown vics is that they arent making them any more 9or will stop very soon). The design is proven and has been for the last 3 decades with some upgrades. they are the staple of police force and taxi companies across america but their terrible fuel mileage and decades old and expensive design have forced people to look elsewhere at newer and cheaper designs.

A while back I read somewhere that most police forces that bought into the impalas were sorry they did, the abuse the cars took as daily cruisers were too much for the car and while they saved on initial purchase price and on fuel, maintenance and repair costs are astronomical
I can believe that. I know a few people who own some and their biggest complaint is having to constantly either replace or grease the steering shaft and other assorted drive bits and that the suspension craps out even under light use.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #183
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I thought most police preferred RWD anyway.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #184
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

The impala's were coming in to slowly replace the crown vic as a more economical car. Since the Charger was released, departments (at least around here) are switching over to that instead. Haven't seen a new impala on the force in the last couple years. Crown Vic's last MY for the public was 2009. They were going to make another run in 2010 for Law Enforcement and other fleet users and then can it completly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I thought most police preferred RWD anyway.
Yup, hence the change to the Charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #185
shmike
Follower

Had a Dodge Charger for a week and a 1/2.

Everything Homeslice has said about high door sills and small windows is true.

Ri-fucking-diculous blind spots. Terrible all around visibility and the mirrors stare directly at the rear fenders.

The sloping roof meant almost no headroom in the back seat but the trunk was huge.

The drive was decent and the interior had a few nice touches but overall I wished we had just stuck with the Impala we were originally given.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #186
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Avis tried to rent me another 4-cyl Altima for the 3rd time in a row this week while on business. Told them they were boring me and they gave me one of the new 306hp V6 Mustangs. Other than the seat comfort and the anemic sounding exhaust (the V6 Mustang I rented about 2 years ago had a throatier exhaust note), I'm having a hard time finding something I don't like about this car. Plenty of power across the RPM range, smooth shifting transmission, good fuel efficiency and I really like the styling. No blind spots, good visibility in the mirrors. Fun to drive.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #187
MILK
The cows want you dead.

4cy Ford Fusion - aka the Lawnmower. Yikes. My 10 year Toyota Camry was quieter, smoother, and had more power. Oh and it had a better ride. Rented the Lawnmower because I wasn't comfortable driving the Camry to Maryland as it had 201,000 miles on it. Wish I had though! Bought a V6 Rav4 Sport last Friday. No more Ford renting for me, lol.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #188
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Crazy, I was just about to update this thread, too. I had a Dodge Avenger last week, and was not a fan. The interior controls seemed chintzy, and the transmission usually took several tries to go from 2 to 3 under moderate throttle in town.

Also hopped in a friend's Challenger. That interior was nicer (not surprising, since the trim package was better). The glaring problem was there was no quick way to fold the driver's side seat forward so someone could climb in back. It was a power seat with no manual release, so you had to adjust it forward (and then back) with the switches. Pretty annoying for a 2-door.

Not impressed with Dodge these days.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #189
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
4cy Ford Fusion - aka the Lawnmower. Yikes. My 10 year Toyota Camry was quieter, smoother, and had more power. Oh and it had a better ride. Rented the Lawnmower because I wasn't comfortable driving the Camry to Maryland as it had 201,000 miles on it. Wish I had though! Bought a V6 Rav4 Sport last Friday. No more Ford renting for me, lol.
Strange, I thought the Fusion's 4-cyl was a decent, smooth motor, and it rode very well for the class of car it's in. Problem is the horrible dashboard, with un-readable buttons & gauges.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #190
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Avis tried to rent me another 4-cyl Altima for the 3rd time in a row this week while on business. Told them they were boring me and they gave me one of the new 306hp V6 Mustangs. Other than the seat comfort and the anemic sounding exhaust (the V6 Mustang I rented about 2 years ago had a throatier exhaust note), I'm having a hard time finding something I don't like about this car. Plenty of power across the RPM range, smooth shifting transmission, good fuel efficiency and I really like the styling. No blind spots, good visibility in the mirrors. Fun to drive.
Was this the new model Mustang? Agree they look a lot better than before.