Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #21
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Sounds pretty fvcked up imho not to consider anyone currently not working BUT PC did just bring up a good point about being swamped by applicants when most may not even be qualified.
This article was specifically about the aerospace/defense and engineering sector. I doubt they are getting swamped with resumes of unqualified people. I'm sure they get some but not many. Usually the qualifications are outlined in the job postings.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

My company did layoffs last year in one department. I have two friends in that department who made considerably LESS $ than their teammates. They were the only two to keep their jobs. If person A will do all this work for $50k, but person B makes $75k doing the same job, then person A gets to keep their 50k while person B is sent home. It's not about performance...it's about money.

And it sucks that they are doing that, but it doesn't suck that they are honest about it in their posting.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #23
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

AND...I tell my clients all the time to include an assessment on their job postings. If you require X experience, then make every applicant answer the question "Do you have X experience?"

Some will lie, but it will weed a lot of folks out. A little planning when you post the job goes a long way.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
My company did layoffs last year in one department. I have two friends in that department who made considerably LESS $ than their teammates. They were the only two to keep their jobs. If person A will do all this work for $50k, but person B makes $75k doing the same job, then person A gets to keep their 50k while person B is sent home. It's not about performance...it's about money.

And it sucks that they are doing that, but it doesn't suck that they are honest about it in their posting.
It is performance though. You have person A who is performing the SAME as person B. Person B should be performing better than person A or you get the boot. If person A and Person B are performing the same quality of work you have a problem. Either person A is severely underpaid or person B is a slacker.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #25
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Yeah I could see that...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #26
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

it's not a new thing. when I was unemployed I decided to go ahead and follow a different path that I really want to do anyway. driving over the road. yeah when I called to talk to them first thing they said was oops sorry you've been unemployed too long and we can't consider you for employment.
next time I get laid off I'm calling them the next day.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #27
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
This article was specifically about the aerospace/defense and engineering sector. I doubt they are getting swamped with resumes of unqualified people. I'm sure they get some but not many. Usually the qualifications are outlined in the job postings.
Doh...you're right...makes more sense now.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #28
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
When I was the Eastern Canada service manager for a computer manufacturing company, I did everything from overseeing assembly and shipping, to evaluation of new products, to troubleshooting issues with compatibility (both in production and from end-users). I routinely turned over my assistants in about 2 years (then they went out and got jobs making $10K more than me after I had trained them). Half of the resumes that I received for the position might qualify as shipper.

Now imagine someone like me applying for a position in aerospace....

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #29
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

Personally I think ignoring the unemployed is BS. It's not really that hard to scan a resume in 30 seconds and determine if that person has the skill set you are looking for. Just don't depend on a recruiting firm to send you candidates - bad ones will send everyone and their mother to interview.

That said, I've interviewed some people for software positions who had all sorts of acronyms (e.g. SQL, HTML) on their resume and yet couldn't speak intelligently about any of them.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #30
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Makes sense. There is probably a reason they are not employed.
Agreed!!! I know someone milking the system right now.. And when they do work they can't keep the job they have very long.. I would especially avoid anyone with recurrent unemployment.

Sucks for the other folks though. I would hope that is the exception, not the rule..
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote