Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I'd like to see what this thing can do in real life. That 60-degree watercooled V-twin is a heavy unit (200-lbs +) and now add a supercharger on top of that? I'd like to see what the actual bike would weigh in at. Not to mention that they'd have to do some serious modding to the engine because that Revolution engine is a very slow revver. Powerful, yes, but revs slow as hell. When we do roll-ons on the freeway, my KTM is up and gone and my homey's Street Rod could never catch up even though it puts out 20 more horses. You rev the throttle on that Revolution engine and you'll wait for a couple of seconds before anything kicks in. So, I'd like to see what Roeher did to solve that problem.

Well the obvious solution would be to lighten the crank/pistons. Not to mention the super charger which should get things spinning alot faster. They claim a 425 dry weight and they say "modeled" after the hd lump so they might have a cnc/lightened version of the engine. They had to save weight somewhere considering my bike weighs about that.

As far as the price goes,it's not THAT much more than the MV,Bimota or Ducati specials we've all seen and it's still cheaper than most of the choppers riding around. I read an article about this guy almost 2 years ago,he just about hand made everything on the prototype himself.

Why Polaris won't make a sportbike has always been beyond me. Harley tried it and failed. We probably wouldn't buy it even if one of the American Companies did produce a sportbike.... I'm still hoping Buell will do something now that they've broken with HD engines! They're definitely heading in the right direction.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
I'd like to see what this thing can do in real life. That 60-degree watercooled V-twin is a heavy unit (200-lbs +) and now add a supercharger on top of that? I'd like to see what the actual bike would weigh in at. Not to mention that they'd have to do some serious modding to the engine because that Revolution engine is a very slow revver. Powerful, yes, but revs slow as hell. When we do roll-ons on the freeway, my KTM is up and gone and my homey's Street Rod could never catch up even though it puts out 20 more horses. You rev the throttle on that Revolution engine and you'll wait for a couple of seconds before anything kicks in. So, I'd like to see what Roeher did to solve that problem.
Which is exactly why Erik Buell never did anything with it.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

The price doesn't bother me if the quality and the performance are there. It's not any more expensive than a special edition Duck or MV. BUT I really like to see how he overcame the weight issue. Unless that V-Rod engine is totally remade with aluminum, magnesium, and titanium, he's not gonna be able to shed that much weight. The BMW HP2 Sport has a 1200-cc aircooled boxer twin engine (no water pump, no radiator, no water jacket) with the most exotic parts BMW ever made for that engine, coupled with a lightweight trellis frame and a carbon fiber subframe, lightweight PVM wheels, etc., yet it still cracks in at low 400-lbs. Or the KTM RC8 with the 1200-cc (okay, 1150) watercooled V-twin weighing in at around low 400-lbs too.

So, in order to overcome that heavy ass Revolution engine's weight, Roeher must have done some wicked shits. I'm sorry but I'm skeptical until I see some real data and engine/frame designs.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
TATER
Legend in his own mind

Moto: CBR

maybe Ford or GM will decide to try to "Revive" their companiers by going the sportbike way..........
TATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Quote:
The price doesn't bother me if the quality and the performance are there. It's not any more expensive than a special edition Duck or MV. BUT I really like to see how he overcame the weight issue. Unless that V-Rod engine is totally remade with aluminum, magnesium, and titanium, he's not gonna be able to shed that much weight. The BMW HP2 Sport has a 1200-cc aircooled boxer twin engine (no water pump, no radiator, no water jacket) with the most exotic parts BMW ever made for that engine, coupled with a lightweight trellis frame and a carbon fiber subframe, lightweight PVM wheels, etc., yet it still cracks in at low 400-lbs. Or the KTM RC8 with the 1200-cc (okay, 1150) watercooled V-twin weighing in at around low 400-lbs too.

So, in order to overcome that heavy ass Revolution engine's weight, Roeher must have done some wicked shits. I'm sorry but I'm skeptical until I see some real data and engine/frame designs.
it was in CW ahile ago talking about the red test prototype and i think the frame is pretty much nonexistant, it uses the motor as the main stress member on the bike

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #16
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Bottom line is I would buy an MV, Ducati 1098R long before i would buy a H-D powered anchor!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

They did a nice job of copying the MV Augusta's looks.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote