Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Took a small trip, found some small fun

I started out the day with the idea that I wanted to take a small ride over to West Virginia to take a photo next to a welcome to WV sign, it turned out to be a much more involved process than I expected.

I started out heading over to the local BMW dealership Bobs for a cup of free coffee. And maybe a test ride. They let me take the K1600GTL out for a small ride, not long 15 miles, but damn was it a pretty neato 15 miles. I gotta say, this bike has everything, GPS, Ipod dock, cruise, radio, XM, heated everything, comfortable, great seating position, powerful, all around a little too comfortable. They even had these little flip out thingies that funnel fresh air in toward the riders stomach and chest. The thing I didn't care for was the fly-by-wire throttle. It just seemed to be slightly off, almost like I would suggest to the bike that it needs more gas, and the bike would put its $.02 in and make a call as to what it should do. It wasn't lag, or that the bike didn't do what I said, just that one minute I would give it 1/2 throttle and it would zoom ahead, then a minute later at 3/4 throttle it would zoom less than at 1/2 throttle. I guess I'm just used to old fashioned throttles. Anyway I think it just takes some getting used to, I give it 2 thumbs up, putting aside the throttle differences, the only problem with this bike is that maybe its too comfortable, I bet I could fall asleep at the wheel.

Bobs also has a small museum that they keep some cool bikes in:

Anyway, took off from Bobs BMW after sucking down a fresh cup of coffee, and shot down the road to the Kawasaki dealership to see if i won a big prize from their ticket to ride contest. I didn't win shit, 15% off a kawasaki accessory. Left there, headed west to look for West Virginia.

To be continued...... (dont reply until I finish, I have a few more pictures to throw in)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Bob's is awesome.

The 6 is one badass machine. The throttle thing could of been the mode you had it in. What mode did you have the bike in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

On the way to WV, I see a car show on the side of the road so I swung in, cool cars, i hung out for 20 minutes, pee'd got some water and moved on

I followed the roads toward West Virginia and found a sign next to the Potomac River, problem was that because of all the kyack folks the side of the road was covered in cars, I couldnt get a decent picture.

So I went on, and stopped in the WV tourist info center, got a map and went looking for another road that leads from VA into WV. I failed miserably, but I was able to find some nice roads, some really nice roads.

I kept going and eventually found a boat ramp down a very tight switchback road, dipped my back wheel in while some kyakers took my picture.

Then I zoom on some more, finally find a WV sign, take the picture and head for home.

Just about 300 miles, 3 states, and a smiling me

Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Great pics! I need to go to WV again. They have better signs now.

I'm envious. I still want to try the K16!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Bob's is awesome.

The 6 is one badass machine. The throttle thing could of been the mode you had it in. What mode did you have the bike in?
Bobs is awesome, I stop in there every few weeks just to see whats new, its 8 miles from my front door.

The bike was in GO mode. Seriously I had a hard enough time with the friggin blinkers. The I6 engine is pretty awesome, sounds like stock 240z, power on top of power. The bike really is incredible, but its kind of hard to describe my issue with the throttle, it just didnt do what I asked of it.

The coolest thing about the bike was the click wheel on the left grip, it rotates both ways and clicks left and right, and the bike has bluetooth that works with the sena

Last edited by derf; 06-18-2011 at 10:10 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

That BMW looks like a spaceship.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I love trips like that....
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Fred, was it at low speeds, or anywhere? What you are describing was my reaction to the clutch at low speeds. It seems to click and behave strange getting started, as there is an assist on the front and back of the slipper clutch. That means you work the clutch differently when starting out, ish. Hard to explain, but noticeable when doing parking lot maneuvers. I didn't use the clutch at all moving them around, if I did, it tried to help me and lagged.

The adaptive headlight is, by far, my favorite feature on that bike. It is amazing and incredible at night.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Yeh low speeds, I really noticed it under hard accel, like when coming out of a corner or pulling onto the highway (I might have hooned on the bike a little bit)
Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Weird. I had the opposite experience. I fell in love with the GT, though I could get really used to the heat on the backside of the GTL's seat.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote