Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Rider
Moto GP Star

Default Looks like I'll be a bike owner again

I found out this weekend that my dad had to have emergency brain surgery this weekend due to a subdural hematoma(blood clot). They don't think he can ride anymore so I'm inheriting his bike. I was going down to FL in a couple of weeks anyway, so it looks like I'll be riding the V-Star all the way home following the wife in the cage.

I asked the wife how she felt about me owning another bike and she said, for the occasional group ride or cruising around, she is fine with it but she doesn't like the idea of me commuting to work everyday on it. So yeah... I'm officially a cruiser guy now...
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
shmike
Follower

Congrats.

The V-Star isn't a half-bad bike.

My pops has 4 bikes in his stable and the V-Star get more mileage than anything else he owns.

What size is it?

Best wishes and positive thought to your father.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

Thanks. I think it's the 650 but I'm not sure. He had a Sportster 883 before this bike but for as often as he rides I'm sure the 650 was all he needed.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I found out this weekend that my dad had to have emergency brain surgery this weekend due to a subdural hematoma(blood clot). They don't think he can ride anymore so I'm inheriting his bike. I was going down to FL in a couple of weeks anyway, so it looks like I'll be riding the V-Star all the way home following the wife in the cage.

I asked the wife how she felt about me owning another bike and she said, for the occasional group ride or cruising around, she is fine with it but she doesn't like the idea of me commuting to work everyday on it. So yeah... I'm officially a cruiser guy now...

don't get me wrong, it's great you are getting a bike, but first off how's your dad and is he really ok with it????

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttle View Post
don't get me wrong, it's great you are getting a bike, but first off how's your dad and is he really ok with it????
My dad is awake and coherent. He is being moved out of the neuro care unit today. He should be going home on Friday. I'll be down there a week later.
My dad is 65 years old and this is his 3rd surgery in recent years. One was to repair an aneurysm that burst, the second surgery was to put a stint in his carotid artery because he wasn't getting enough oxygen to his brain and now this one. He is in no shape to be riding anymore. God damn cigarettes... he knows they are bad but he won't stop.

I can't see him being safe on the road(on a bike) anymore and the rest of the family agrees.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

dude, I hope your dad is okay.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

My thoughts are with your father and family.

Congrats on riding again!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Tough situation. But congrats on the bike.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Sorry to hear about your dad, Rider. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

The V-Star is a great cruiser. I could be biased since it was the first bike I rode...learned on, etc. The only reason I went from cruiser to a sport bike was because of the weight. Even though cruisers are lower to the ground, their heavy (to me) weight made riding exhausting. For a cruiser, I really liked it. Especially after we put drag bars on it.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Tough situation. But congrats on the bike.
sorry to hear about your dad. Congrats on the bike.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote