Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Southwest Riders

Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650
Default Newbie question

I bought a dirt bike stand for my supermoto bike so I could do some maintenance, one of these:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...O-ADJ-LFT-STND

What I didn't expect was that once my bike was off the floor, it would be very unstable because it's center balanced. A light push on either side will tip the bike over. So what's the point of this thing?

What can I use to get at least the rear tire off the ground so I can change the rear tire, lube the chain, etc easily? I'd love to somehow install rear bobbins as I already have an adjustable rear stand but I don't think my DRZ's swingarm has mounting points for them.

Ideas?
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
I bought a dirt bike stand for my supermoto bike so I could do some maintenance, one of these:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...O-ADJ-LFT-STND

What I didn't expect was that once my bike was off the floor, it would be very unstable because it's center balanced. A light push on either side will tip the bike over. So what's the point of this thing?

What can I use to get at least the rear tire off the ground so I can change the rear tire, lube the chain, etc easily? I'd love to somehow install rear bobbins as I already have an adjustable rear stand but I don't think my DRZ's swingarm has mounting points for them.

Ideas?
If you put it under your dirtbike right, it should sit fine?

By fine I mean, as long as you have it balanced on there, it shouldn't move at all. However tugging, pulling, pushing, wrenching hard on the bike will have the consequence of an unstable stand. I've used a friends stand that had a tad more surface area than that, and I've gotten both wheels off, replaced a chain, straightened out forks, and basically got the bike down to frame and motor almost.

So as long as you don't really manhandle the bike while it's on the stand, it shouldn't go anywhere, just make sure you've got the right balance point.(also a nice rubber pad on the top of the stand should help)
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
pdog
Refugee

Yeah, that's what the guys at CycleGear said when I returned it. I'm not sure if it's my bike or me but the bike felt a lot more unstable than I was comfortable with.

I just checked - it doesn't have rear bobbin mounts but it does have a hollow rear axle. At this point, it's probably worth it just to pay someone to change the tire on the bike for me.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I have the same one for my DRZ and it works fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Yeah, that's what the guys at CycleGear said when I returned it. I'm not sure if it's my bike or me but the bike felt a lot more unstable than I was comfortable with.

I just checked - it doesn't have rear bobbin mounts but it does have a hollow rear axle. At this point, it's probably worth it just to pay someone to change the tire on the bike for me.
Is your bike a convert from a MX bike or a purpose-built motard? *NM-checked under you avatar

I don't think motard wheels would be that MUCH heavier than MX, but then again I wouldn't know.

Otherwise I'd just get a bigger stand. Or make one
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
pdog
Refugee

The stand also wouldn't slide under the bike - I had to raise the bike with an improvised ramp. Screw that, I'm looking for something like this:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1103145984.html

Hydraulics and tiedowns. :-)
Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
James
aka Reyn

Moto: General Lee Bigwheel!

Most motards are going to be too low for a standard MX stand like that - the KTM i had was too low for my MX stands, too. Just pick it up and set it up there, Brenda
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

Are you sure you had the bike centered on the stand? I never had a problem with my stand, it was very sturdy. This is what I had. Note the hole in center for being able to change the oil while on the stand.

Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Mike, you have a motard. They are shorter than dirt bikes. The stand you just returned can be converted to easily fit under your bike. I have the same one for my ktm, and it isn't fall-proof, but it works well for me.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Are you sure you had the bike centered on the stand? I never had a problem with my stand, it was very sturdy. This is what I had. Note the hole in center for being able to change the oil while on the stand.

This is the stand I used!

And no it wouldn't slide under, I'd have to literally pick the bike up and put it up there...(which is much easier these days considering my size/strength ratio )