Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

View Poll Results: Should I install cruise control?
Yes 16 76.19%
No 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #11
t-homo
WSB Champion

I have a crampbuster and it is pretty nice for longer rides. I recommend taking it off for in town though.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Crampbusters are indeed great. But if what FJRchick is looking at is something to mechanically hold the throttle grip in place, then I'd say to steer clear. However cruise control and a throttle lock are two different things, ones electronic and the other mechanical.
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

The crampbuster or some other throttle paddle deal would be nice on long boring stretches. Just something for when your hand gets tired of gripping. Other than that, I wouldn't want any kind of throttle lock.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #14
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I have Cruise control on my Goldwing, I consider it an incredible Luxury!Enough so that I am Considering adding it to the Busa. They are very easy to use and a great way to avoid tickets. A decent setup is far superior to throttle locks and and wedges. If I am having a 500 mile day on the slab in particular it is a must for touring as far as I am concerned.
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Shannon, definatly go with a cruise control for the trip. It will make things easier and more comfortable. Only use the cruise control when you need alittle break. I have the Throttlemeister cruise control on my R1. It's the same exact setup for the FJR. I love it. In addition to having cruise, the cruise acts as heavy bar end weights. I picked them up at Cycle Gear for well under $200. Go check out http://www.throttlemeister.com

You can go with either the heavy or standard. The standard is pretty heavy as it is, but i've heard from people that the heavy's are easier to use since they are alittle longer. Call me with any questions about them or you can just check it out on my bike tommorow at bike night.

When you are ready, call Catherine at Cycle Gear. She can get them for you. It took about 3 or 4 days for them to come in.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #16
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

I have a Throttlemeister on my Beemer and I use it sparingly. The throttle response and feel of the Aprilia was so sweet that I didn't need anything at all. Although I may install a Throttlemeister on it too if anything just to goof around a little bit on long trips to keep me from getting bored.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Just remove the return spring. Free.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I used the plastic throttle lock type before and loved it. Taking my right hand off and using my left was a good change. Not recommended for twisties though, even though it's not enguaged, it'll still reduce the throttle snap-back when you release it. Not good. But for a long cruise, I'd do it.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
What happens when you need to get out of the gas REALLY guickly and the damn thing sticks? I'd say go with a crampbuster (a lever that attached to the throttle grip so that you can use your palm to hold the gas), but not a throttle lock.
Mine you can just twist back forward in a pinch of its easy to release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I used the plastic throttle lock type before and loved it. Taking my right hand off and using my left was a good change. Not recommended for twisties though, even though it's not enguaged, it'll still reduce the throttle snap-back when you release it. Not good. But for a long cruise, I'd do it.
True!!

And I saw a nieghbors harley had one... it used magenets and had a + & - on the control to advance it and such. Pretty big unit though

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #20
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
What happens when you need to get out of the gas REALLY guickly and the damn thing sticks?
Thats the great thing about the Throttlemeister. You can still roll on and off the throttle by hand. It operates using friction inside the clip on. However the friction is very minimal. So it allows full throttle operation, even when the Throttlemeister is engaged.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote