Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Planning a long trip?

check this site out...
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/

they have a LOT of info on traveling on two wheels... through boarders, shipping your bike, packing, places to stop, where gps works and where it doesn't, places for repairs... pretty much everything you need to know.

they've got a list of quite a few trips round the world. and tons more multi-country trips.

They seem to be mostly based in Canada and the UK... but wisdom is multicultural so I'm passing it along.

I actually ran into one of their members Ian Moore (you can find his blog here)

he's on a trip around the world... the WRONG way
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Good find. I'd love to do some travels by way of motorcycle. Unfortunately my current bike isn't exactly suited to long trips like that.

Heck I'm dreading a planned 8 hour ride in the fall!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Good find. I'd love to do some travels by way of motorcycle. Unfortunately my current bike isn't exactly suited to long trips like that.

Heck I'm dreading a planned 8 hour ride in the fall!

8 hours? If you start extending your riding range now, by the fall, 8 hours will be nothing! Just takes practice.

An 8 hour trip is the same as a 2 hour ride for me now. Build yourself up and you'll be fine.

Great link also Ebbs!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yup the horizon unlimited folks have probably the best long distance touring information pool int the world. I have opened up my couch to a few of their members in the past who are on long rides.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I'm starting my research for a world trip... won't happen for some time... have to get out of the military first... and since I'll still need money that means RETIRING from the military... so 13 years... but hell... that just means I get more time to find people to meet up with and maybe learn a language or two... ()

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

8 hours? If you start extending your riding range now, by the fall, 8 hours will be nothing! Just takes practice.

An 8 hour trip is the same as a 2 hour ride for me now. Build yourself up and you'll be fine.

Great link also Ebbs!
No doubt... but honestly... prior to my Indy trip last year... I hadn't spent more than 2hrs on the bike in one sitting. and never ridden over 4 in a day.

that trip I didn't have a day of riding under 6hrs... and only two under 12.

never had an issue... did one day of 904 miles in 16 hrs.

Like ya said G... after the first fill up... the rest of the day feels the same... 2-4-6-12 hrs riding all feels the same... at least until you stop for a couple hours and it hits ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Yup the horizon unlimited folks have probably the best long distance touring information pool int the world. I have opened up my couch to a few of their members in the past who are on long rides.
no shit? that's damn cool of ya... Yeah I'll be opening my place up to travelers too if need be... but not many people wanna stop in southern Mississippi
Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I've ridden long distances before. I'm just not thrilled about the idea of doing it.

Traveling around Newfoundland I had some pretty long days.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
I'm starting my research for a world trip... won't happen for some time... have to get out of the military first... and since I'll still need money that means RETIRING from the military... so 13 years... but hell... that just means I get more time to find people to meet up with and maybe learn a language or two... ()

No doubt... but honestly... prior to my Indy trip last year... I hadn't spent more than 2hrs on the bike in one sitting. and never ridden over 4 in a day.

that trip I didn't have a day of riding under 6hrs... and only two under 12.

never had an issue... did one day of 904 miles in 16 hrs.

Like ya said G... after the first fill up... the rest of the day feels the same... 2-4-6-12 hrs riding all feels the same... at least until you stop for a couple hours and it hits ya

no shit? that's damn cool of ya... Yeah I'll be opening my place up to travelers too if need be... but not many people wanna stop in southern Mississippi

I start mine in 2023, thats when my son turns 18 and graduates high school. I'll retire with 25 years. The general plan is to leave home, then head to alaska for the summer solstice, then down to Ushauanda (southern most city in the Americas) for the winter solstice, explore south America a little more, then ship the bike to Europe, and take a month off of riding and go stay with relatives. Meet up with the bike in Europe and explore that continent, then down through the western countries in Africa, then back up the eastern coast. Head north through southwest Asia avoiding all the nasty countries on my way to India, stay there for a while, then into Southeast Asia. After that, ship the bike down to Australia then New Zealand. And finally finish up the journey with a swing through all 48 lower states.

A great book to buy and read is called Lonely Planet, details alot of places to visit, stay, and routes to avoid, visas, stuff like that.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I've ridden long distances before. I'm just not thrilled about the idea of doing it.

Traveling around Newfoundland I had some pretty long days.
yeah I bet! I'm planning a trip up there... thinking next year... looping up through Labrador.

though I'm done with long days rack'n up miles (if I can help it) I wanna take my time... enjoy the views... 8hr days max unless it's all off road... then 12hrs

I think back to my Indy trip... and think of all the area's I blew through pushing to get to the next stop... blah... as is I have photos from the start.... in FL... TN... and Indy... that's about it. sad really.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
t-homo
WSB Champion

Iron Butt from Springfield, MO to Birmingham, AL and back coming up in a week and a half.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post

though I'm done with long days rack'n up miles (if I can help it) I wanna take my time... enjoy the views... 8hr days max unless it's all off road... then 12hrs
My total dream is to see a sign for the worlds biggest squirl, then pull off for a day to see the world biggest squirl, and not worry about having to be somewhere in any decent amount of time.