Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

This is something I've considered doing a number of times in the past... IMHO, I wouldn't use a PC... Get an old Xbox and softmod it. The emulators for whatever reason always seemed to work better on there...

Also, I don't understand why anyone would just do a MAME only cabinet... I have a modded Xbox with everything from MAME to Atari to N64 and literally tens of thousands of games on it... 300GB HD - easy peasy... Oh, and there's like 50 Xbox games and a good bit of music on it as well.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Oh... and, one of my ideas was to make the cabinet a sit down job like the racing games... I wanted to do a rotating control station in which you could flip between a racing wheel setup and a regular controller layout...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

If you're going to do it, go all out. Get a surround sound system for the fucking thing too... I'd stick to something sub-600 watts cause you're going to be right in the fucking middle of the thing...

Fuck... now I'm jonesing for this project myself...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
If you're going to do it, go all out. Get a surround sound system for the fucking thing too... I'd stick to something sub-600 watts cause you're going to be right in the fucking middle of the thing...

Fuck... now I'm jonesing for this project myself...
Yeah, I do want to do this, one dude I saw made his a jukebox as well, it was pretty neat. It would be pretty cool to tie it in with my itunes airplay setup I currently have and be able to control it from my android phone/Mac/iPad.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Yeah, I do want to do this, one dude I saw made his a jukebox as well, it was pretty neat. It would be pretty cool to tie it in with my itunes airplay setup I currently have and be able to control it from my android phone/Mac/iPad.
that's friggin awesome to add that in.

Looks like a great project Trip.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Oh... and, one of my ideas was to make the cabinet a sit down job like the racing games... I wanted to do a rotating control station in which you could flip between a racing wheel setup and a regular controller layout...
I like the bench idea, but I will probably go standup. I think I like a classic look over functionality like the gallery setup.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
This is something I've considered doing a number of times in the past... IMHO, I wouldn't use a PC... Get an old Xbox and softmod it. The emulators for whatever reason always seemed to work better on there...

Also, I don't understand why anyone would just do a MAME only cabinet... I have a modded Xbox with everything from MAME to Atari to N64 and literally tens of thousands of games on it... 300GB HD - easy peasy... Oh, and there's like 50 Xbox games and a good bit of music on it as well.
It won't be solely MAME, it will definitely run a variety of systems. The power plant doesn't strictly have to be one system or computer either. I can get a monitor that allows me to switch between an xbox/computer/whatever. Still planning that part. I just called it MAME, because that's just a standard thing to call these cabinets.