Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)
Default Chose a chest/back protection setup today

Ordered this setup today after a lot of reading and research. It's a bit pricey, but from what I can see it's the best protection and comfort you can buy.

The back protector: The VERY comprehensive tail bone coverage of the race version (which is the one I got) along with the shoulder blade coverage and CE level TWO impact rating are what sold me, along with the thin profile and spine-contour.

Chest protector: It has two sets of velcro allowing it to attach to the straps of the back protector. I actually think this might work just as well as a single back/chest unit because you can adjust the chest unit's position on the straps for optimal placement.

ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Knox is definitely the way to go for back protectors. I tried on that chest protector because it works on my A* back protector as well and was really unhappy with what it protected. Where I hurt my ribs was well below it's range of coverage. I want a more expansive protector than anything I have found yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

My buddy just bought a Dainese back protector. Its very nice..
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

It showed up (STG, very good service AGAIN and very fast shipping AGAIN... those guys rock). However I had it shipped out where the garage is so I haven't seen it yet. When Kat and I head out that way I'll check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Knox is definitely the way to go for back protectors. I tried on that chest protector because it works on my A* back protector as well and was really unhappy with what it protected. Where I hurt my ribs was well below it's range of coverage. I want a more expansive protector than anything I have found yet.
I see your point... but I really don't think any chest protectors would fix that that are out there, like you said.

Really, broken ribs is a very common crashing injury, and I can't think of an easy way to protect them adequately while maintaining comfort and maneuverability.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

So I was able to try on the stuff with my new suit the other day.

Back protector first impressions:

Pros: This back protector is TOP NOTCH. Really comfortable, great fit, adjustability, and construction, nice and thin but still CE level 2 certified, full tailbone and shoulder blade coverage, the works.

Cons: There are two. One, they sent me the unit with camo trim, when I ordered black. Two, I found it for 100 dollars cheaper somewhere else after the order.

Chest protector first impressions:

Pros: Clever attachment method, looks like it would provide thorough protection, seems to stay in place well.

Cons: Very thick. Makes the suit fit tightly. I would need to ride for a few hours to decide if it would be uncomfortable or not.

Long story short, the back protector is awesome, the chest protector is so-so. I ordered a black race one (got the last one in my size!!!) from the 100-dollar-cheaper place (oncycles.com) and will be returning both the back and chest unit I currently have for now. I am going to try a couple other chest protectors on in person with the suit and back protector to see if they fit better. If not, I will order this one again because the quality is very good.

Here are shots of the suit fit with both on, and the fit of the items under the suit:

Old 05-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
t-homo
WSB Champion

That camo looks baller. Where did you find it super cheap?
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
p00kienrayray
dope fiend

Moto: JICKSIR SICKS HUNNERD

knox makes super dope protection. what catches my interest most is the tailbone protection. idk how many riders i hear about breaking their tailbones in a crash...

good come up on it. btw sounds like zipping up the 1 pc. suit over that chest protector would be a bitch...
p00kienrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
That camo looks baller. Where did you find it super cheap?
I was just about to say the camo looks gay...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Nice setup. I want a chest protector. I've thought about that one...but my back protector doesn't have straps.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
Katherine
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 07 CBR 600RR

Oooooo pretty! Damn. You didn't want me to say pretty anymore, did you? I mean you look badass!

What was that site you gave me yesterday where I might be able to get a custom back / chest protector?
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote