Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #61
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I agree that this program should have been better-thought, and there should have been more limits on what you can buy. A guy here at work just traded in an old Voyager minivan for the full $4,500 that he turned around and used on a new Honda Civic. Yeah, how much of those profits stay here in the States?

Also, why even have an 18 mpg cutoff? What if I wanted to trade in my 20mpg car for a 35mpg one? According to the gov't I don't qualify, just because 20 is 2 points more than 18. That's horseshit.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #62
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I agree that this program should have been better-thought, and there should have been more limits on what you can buy. A guy here at work just traded in an old Voyager minivan for the full $4,500 that he turned around and used on a new Honda Civic. Yeah, how much of those profits stay here in the States?

Also, why even have an 18 mpg cutoff? What if I wanted to trade in my 20mpg car for a 35mpg one? According to the gov't I don't qualify, just because 20 is 2 points more than 18. That's horseshit.
While I agree that they shouldn't have set the 18mpg cutoff for a trade in they did have reasons for doing it. They wanted to limit the program to only their worst offenders, primarily SUVs and trucks, so after it is over they can crow about how they took vehicles unpopular with the voters off the road. They also didn't want a mad rush of people taking advantage of the program overwhelming dealers and the government. As we saw that happened anyway.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #63
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Well if they really wanted to take POS's off the road, they should have made 1970's cars eligible. Most of them are 4,500 pound pieces of crap that are probably blowing smoke from bad valve seals or head gasket. In contrast, a late 80's/early 90's vehicle is more likely to be still in good running condition even if its mileage is poor. Why destroy an OK-running car?......Do they realize how much pollution and energy is required to build a new car to replace it with?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #64
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Well if they really wanted to take POS's off the road, they should have made 1970's cars eligible. Most of them are 4,500 pound pieces of crap that are probably blowing smoke from bad valve seals or head gasket. In contrast, a late 80's/early 90's vehicle is more likely to be still in good running condition even if its mileage is poor. Why destroy an OK-running car?......Do they realize how much pollution and energy is required to build a new car to replace it with?
You mean a government program was poorly conceived and executed? I am absolutely shocked!:Lol

Last edited by goof2; 08-07-2009 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Fucking typo
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote