Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #61
dreaded
Unregisturd

Moto: CBR1k DRZsm

The only reason 2s has the advantage in dirtbikes is because of the weight savings, both in physical size/weight of the jug, and it's moving mass- I think the 2storkes are easier to fling around corners. Plus the 4-strokes make torque off longer stroke, making for a taller jug, higher COG, etc. On ATV's I think some of that stuff is less of an issue. I could be wrong, but I don't care.

Digi: My first experience taking sportbikes offroad was when you were 7 years old. Don't get too ahead of yourself mate.
dreaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #62
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaded View Post
The only reason 2s has the advantage in dirtbikes is because of the weight savings, both in physical size/weight of the jug, and it's moving mass- I think the 2storkes are easier to fling around corners. Plus the 4-strokes make torque off longer stroke, making for a taller jug, higher COG, etc.
Don't forget a few others:
- less maintenance
- easier kick starting
- more reliable (I'm talking vs. MX thumpers)
- no engine braking
- more fun? (personal preference)

I just sold my KTM 450 XC, and whittled the dirt bikes down to my one 300 XC-W. I took the 300 around 80-90% of the time.

I prefer dirt biking too - no cops, no cages, good exercise, and one year land access = less than a trackday in cost.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #63
Digifox
Cl4p-Trap

Moto: Your mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaded View Post
Digi: My first experience taking sportbikes offroad was when you were 7 years old. Don't get too ahead of yourself mate.
Sorry, im confused at the moment.
so im not sure if your being serious or making fun of. . . . something . . . .
Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #64
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

My current and only ride at the moment is a yamaha warrior. I've been ridin dirt for 15 years.
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #65
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

Looking to try dirt. I was told that if I played in the dirt my street riding would greatly improve. True??? What are some recomendations for a good begining bike?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #66
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Diva View Post
Looking to try dirt. I was told that if I played in the dirt my street riding would greatly improve. True??? What are some recomendations for a good begining bike?
Were you live you be best off with a small dualsport - there are great dirt and gravel roads towards Max Patch (you need to be street legal to ride this roads)

We should hook up one day and I'll let you try my DR (it's a lowered 650), it's not the easiest bike for single track, but it's perfect for the backroads, twisties and commuting.

BTW I'm on the other end of your county...

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #67
Ducati Diva
just learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttle View Post
Were you live you be best off with a small dualsport - there are great dirt and gravel roads towards Max Patch (you need to be street legal to ride this roads)

We should hook up one day and I'll let you try my DR (it's a lowered 650), it's not the easiest bike for single track, but it's perfect for the backroads, twisties and commuting.

BTW I'm on the other end of your county...
I am street leagal but just really getting a feel for it. What end of the county you in?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #68
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

towards Wolf Laurel (not in Wolf Laurel off course)

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #69
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Diva View Post
I got into dirt biking to improve my road racing skills back in '01. I found it so much fun that I quit roadracing and started MX'ing. Yes, it can help your street riding quite a bit, esp. dealing w/ low traction situations.

Your height is prob. the most important determining factor as to what would make a good beginner bike, but CRF230's seem to be popular w/ woman beginners. They're a bit heavy, but easy to ride, reliable, and have e-start. A KTM 200 would also be good to look @ if it fits.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #70
Ducati Diva
just learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
I got into dirt biking to improve my road racing skills back in '01. I found it so much fun that I quit roadracing and started MX'ing. Yes, it can help your street riding quite a bit, esp. dealing w/ low traction situations.

Your height is prob. the most important determining factor as to what would make a good beginner bike, but CRF230's seem to be popular w/ woman beginners. They're a bit heavy, but easy to ride, reliable, and have e-start. A KTM 200 would also be good to look @ if it fits.
I'm almost 5'8 got long legs for a girl (least that's what Jeeps says) Not huge, but not small either, in the weight dept between 125 and 130. Sugestions for my size???

Cuttle pm me when you get out my way if you want. BTW waving now as I pass your neck of the woods on 26