Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Events

Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #51
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
I tried to make the map show no passing from entry to exit cone.

I am starting my braking long before the red areas.

Maybe I'll add wording to clarify?
In intermediate/expert, from the apex to the exit, can you pass on the inside so to speak. I am in intermediate and in the orgs I have ridden with theres no inside passing from entry to apex, but after the apex you could go on the inside.

I use that to pass people when I can and would just want to be sure so that I dont spook another rider or get black flagged.

Tom

Last edited by tommymac; 10-20-2009 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: typing error
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #52
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Here expert means "pass anywhere, just don't hit anyone". Expert is commonly called "race group" and is generally filled with trackbikes with numbers on them. At my last track day I rode in A and I think I had the only streetbike in the group.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #53
TTD
Trailer Queen

We encourage you to wait until after the exit cone... but we are less concerned with after the apex.

In other words, passing on the inside from Entry to Apex will get you spoken to and/or black flagged.

After the Apex but before the Exit Cone are looked at on a case by case. If you can do it and still leave 6 feet of space... no one is going to bother you.

If you do it and get too close to the passee and/or run him wide... we'll be talking.

Something to keep in mind is that while we have these rules, we also have a different type of rider. We encourage people to take a look behind them once in a while and to let others by if anyone is there.

The majority of our riders are just out to have a good time and are not looking to go bar to bar or drag race anyone. Because of this, there is usually much less need to make agressive passes in the corner areas because our riders will gladly let you by on the straights.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #54
TTD
Trailer Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Here expert means "pass anywhere, just don't hit anyone". Expert is commonly called "race group" and is generally filled with trackbikes with numbers on them. At my last track day I rode in A and I think I had the only streetbike in the group.
That is the case with most trackday org's.

We are a little different and don't have a "race group". In fact, if you have a race license, you need permission from me to attend and I'll try to talk you out of it because most racers feel the need to pass immediately upon catching someone... and our rules will prevent that.

However, there are racers out there (usually the older ones) that are no longer looking to dice it up and are just looking to have some good laps with minimal risk of being taken out.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #55
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
We encourage you to wait until after the exit cone... but we are less concerned with after the apex.

In other words, passing on the inside from Entry to Apex will get you spoken to and/or black flagged.

After the Apex but before the Exit Cone are looked at on a case by case. If you can do it and still leave 6 feet of space... no one is going to bother you.

If you do it and get too close to the passee and/or run him wide... we'll be talking.

Something to keep in mind is that while we have these rules, we also have a different type of rider. We encourage people to take a look behind them once in a while and to let others by if anyone is there.

The majority of our riders are just out to have a good time and are not looking to go bar to bar or drag race anyone. Because of this, there is usually much less need to make agressive passes in the corner areas because our riders will gladly let you by on the straights.
Thx for the clarification, I just wanted to know so I can ride accordingly. I am usualy prety careful in my passing and will sometmes not take an opportunity if I think I can just squeeze through. I just dont want to be that guy who ruins someone elses day by taking them out.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #56
TTD
Trailer Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Thx for the clarification, I just wanted to know so I can ride accordingly. I am usualy prety careful in my passing and will sometmes not take an opportunity if I think I can just squeeze through. I just dont want to be that guy who ruins someone elses day by taking them out.

Tom
Sounds like you're the exact type of rider we're looking for.

For what it's worth, we've been running 12 years now... and I think we had only 2 bikes touch in that time.

Our rules attract the right type of riders... and just having people with a similar attitude as yours automatically translates to fewer crashes and more track time.

We are sort of "the kinder, gentler trackday"

Old 10-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #57
mondos06cbr1000
Kneedragger

Moto: 2006 CBR1000RR

you guys should get in touch with CEO

There are a few other good track day organizations in the northeast as well...

Boston Moto
http://www.bostonmoto.com/

LAPS (Lean Angle Performance School)
http://www.leanangleperformance.com/register/

Both also run quality track days.

I'm pretty sure Boston Moto is doing another NJ trackday as well and I think they do Lightning, im not sure tho. They also did VIR this year as well. I've heard great things about Monticello and maybe they will make it out there this year too.

If you guys want more details shoot me a PM and i'll put you in touch with them.

It be nice to see some of you guys (i've met DLIT and obv CEO, but I remember alot of you guys from this forum and dare i say...that other forum that i use to belong too?)

Full Akra TI Evo / Hex Canister, PC-III custom map, BMC Race filters, Woodcraft Rearsets, Pazzo Levers, OEM Cowl Seat, Flapper Mod, Sporttech windscreen
Pirelli DCIII's 190/55, Flushmounts, Jardine Fender Eliminator, EBC brake pads

1995 XR250R- Dirt Toy

Delta CO 181 Infantry
mondos06cbr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #58
Boston Moto
Squid

Thanks for the kind words Mondo

Tom, in case you might be wondering our TD rules are here: http://bostonmoto.com/pdf/track-day-rules.pdf

We allow passing anywhere in the Advanced group, and stress that passes must be made safely with appropriate room between bikes. The job of our Control Riders that are circulating and the professional corner working staff (we do not use volunteer corner workers like some other orgs) is to keep an eye out to ensure passes are made safely in all groups.

Recently we've had the pleasure of a few top LRRS guys (Fred Stearns, Christian Cronin) who have attended our track days and the feedback was very positive. Fred may actually be in a similar situation as you are, he's getting a bit tired of the stresses of racing and not enjoying it as much anymore, and says he has a blast at our events.

Maybe that helps, maybe not, but you clearly have options!! Feel free to PM us with any specific questions you may have.
Boston Moto is offline   Reply With Quote