Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #51
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
It was near dusk, and it was rural, though it was close to where I live which is rural.
We were just putting along, I noticed a headlight in my mirror, checked my speed a bit under 35, and my wife told me to watch the deer. It was 2 lane, in the left lane crossing was a deer, being followed by one on the right. That one veered in the direction we were going, I probably could have reached out and touched it. When my wife called out, I closed the throttle (HD twin cam), and started braking as soon as I saw them and knew where they were. I thought he was getting ready to jump across the front of the bike, and moved more toward the center of the road and increased my braking. I don't know if he hit the front tire, or I locked the front tire. But we went down.

I had lots of involvement in our crash.
Thanks for that anyway... This is kinda funny to me. I'm the POSITIVE one for a change and everyone else is trying to prove that something negative is going to happen no matter what we do as motorcyclists.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #52
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Thanks for that anyway... This is kinda funny to me. I'm the POSITIVE one for a change and everyone else is trying to prove that something negative is going to happen no matter what we do as motorcyclists.
We're not being negative. We're being realistic. What do you think the percentage is of people who don't wreck? What do you think the odds are of not crashing ever?

I'm really not trying to be negative. But, I bet the odds of never losing control of your motorcycle are up there with taking home a sizable sum of money in the lottery.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #53
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
We're not being negative. We're being realistic. What do you think the percentage is of people who don't wreck? What do you think the odds are of not crashing ever?

I'm really not trying to be negative. But, I bet the odds of never losing control of your motorcycle are up there with taking home a sizable sum of money in the lottery.
Okay, I can't find the actuarial tables but I still find it hard to believe that insurance companies would write policies knowing that 100% of their clients will eventually crash. Oh well, I just don't like absolutes I guess... If even one dork in North Dakota rides a rebel 250 for one Summer without a crash, it destroys your stated POV IMHO.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #54
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Okay, I can't find the actuarial tables but I still find it hard to believe that insurance companies would write policies knowing that 100% of their clients will eventually crash. Oh well, I just don't like absolutes I guess... If even one dork in North Dakota rides a rebel 250 for one Summer without a crash, it destroys your stated POV IMHO.
If 8 people take the msf without dropping the bike once, then never ride again would you count them as well? They quit riding, to me that's worse than a crash. IMHO
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #55
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
If 8 people take the msf without dropping the bike once, then never ride again would you count them as well? They quit riding, to me that's worse than a crash. IMHO
Yea what's really bad is that I've wasted most of the day doing this.... and not doing this . The positive thing is that I may have staved off my next inevitable crash for a few hours.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #56
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

I'm not going to say everyone will crash, as that can probably be proven false.

But I think more people crash than don't. But I'd also guess most people crash their bicycles a few times too.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #57
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
I'm not going to say everyone will crash, as that can probably be proven false.

But I think more people crash than don't. But I'd also guess most people crash their bicycles a few times too.

Oh yea now that's true! All of your children will eventually get injured riding their bicycles! There's no doubt about that one!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #58
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I haven't gone down other than dropping my bike in my garage while trying to back it out with me not even on the seat.

But I've had a shit ton of close calls. One close call involved me rolling about 65mph at nighttime and coming so close to hitting a deer that I brushed it's tail and could see the top of it's back. I was also on 1 wheel with the rear tire the highest off the ground it's ever been and then going into a 1 wheel wobble and when I sat down came very close to a tank slapper but gassed out.

I've always had very good driving skills, even as a teenager. Even driving a F450 with a backhoe on the back through Atlanta rush hour traffic I've never had a close call. Infact I've never been in a wreck and only in a wreck as a passenger once.

But I'm sure my time will come.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #59
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I haven't gone down other than dropping my bike in my garage while trying to back it out with me not even on the seat.

But I've had a shit ton of close calls. One close call involved me rolling about 65mph at nighttime and coming so close to hitting a deer that I brushed it's tail and could see the top of it's back. I was also on 1 wheel with the rear tire the highest off the ground it's ever been and then going into a 1 wheel wobble and when I sat down came very close to a tank slapper but gassed out.

I've always had very good driving skills, even as a teenager. Even driving a F450 with a backhoe on the back through Atlanta rush hour traffic I've never had a close call. Infact I've never been in a wreck and only in a wreck as a passenger once.

But I'm sure my time will come.
yeah, cuz you just jinxed yourself.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #60
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
I can agree that probability can be a factor but I don't see it as a finite commodity that once exhausted, you crash...

I've had a few accidents myself, and in every case I could have avoided the circumstances or modified my behavior and not have crashed.
naw... I don't believe it's a finite quanity...

though if you look at it like Keth Code (I think it was him) that says that each action costs you skill points... and you wreck at 0... some times a look over your shoulder will cost you 1 pt... others it'll cost you 90...

makes sens to me... but what I was talking about was more why you haven't wrecked... some times it's pure luck... sometimes a combination of your skill and luck... others your skill is what gets you out of the situation.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote