Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
You'd think an MX track would be pretty cheap to operate... Land, a Bobcat, a couple of Porta-Johns...
It's a lot of work for the good ones. MX bikes tear shit up quick and you got to get the ruts out. Then you need to have water to put down when it's too dusty and loose.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
You'd think an MX track would be pretty cheap to operate... Land, a Bobcat, a couple of Porta-Johns...
Grooming and maintenance can be pricy. I can rent the local mx track for the day for $200, $300 if I want it prepped.

I have to admit, ours is a fairly cheap to ride track. It's usually $30 for the day, or $20 if you buy a yearly membership. And he's open 2-3 days a week.

I haven't ridden it, but I will rent it out between a few buddies and do my first track time with zero pressure.

Can you imagine if riding a road course were like that??

Edit: Great pics Tye.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
NOPE.

At least not in TX... Mainly because of the drought and water requirements used to run the track. Tractors and a water truck(and water hoses) can be easy to come by, and if you buy land in the right area, you can use dirt from that land. We have 6 tracks within 2hrs of me and 2 of which are closed because they have no water to operate. You dont NEED water, but alot of people like getting traction so it's a 90/10 for those who want it vs not.

The hardest part will be keeping everyone happy for return business and keeping neighbors from complaining about the noise. I, for one, could give a rats ass about any race tracks noise(I live as the crow flies 3 miles from a flat/circle dirt track and every wed/fri night I hear cars go round n round out there.) But people complain ENDLESSLY about the noise of the 4 strokes. It sucks but I wish people would have some more common sense about learning about the areas they move to before doing so.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Grooming and maintenance can be pricy. I can rent the local mx track for the day for $200, $300 if I want it prepped.

I have to admit, ours is a fairly cheap to ride track. It's usually $30 for the day, or $20 if you buy a yearly membership. And he's open 2-3 days a week.

I haven't ridden it, but I will rent it out between a few buddies and do my first track time with zero pressure.

Can you imagine if riding a road course were like that??

Edit: Great pics Tye.
That is cheap! Our prices to rent the whole deal for a local track that has portos, no pro shop or any kind of pavilion and other facilities is $500+.

The AMA ProAm Cycle Ranch track down in South Texas starts at $1000 I think, but they have EVERYTHING at that track.

Daily riding for every track around who preps with tractors and water is $20. Monkey Island helps us out sometime with a discounted fee but we race with them sometime and it's 100mi 1 way to their place from our house. Still, we try to help everyone out around us because none of them look to make a quick dollar, it's all to keep this sport going.

**also if you want to get into MX, see if they have a beginner day or track time. Most of our tracks will give younger, new and small bikes 30min of track time under a black flag so they can get out on the same course as everyone else safely. No jump allowed by big bikes etc. Those are great times to ride so you can see what a prepped track is like without the fear of someone landing on you.

Last edited by TYEster; 09-29-2011 at 12:23 PM..
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote