Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default You stay classy, Brampton

This video was shot about 5 minutes north of my house, in front of a Catholic School. Two girls were trespassing and told to leave. They are age 15 and 16. Police had to intervene, when they wouldn't, and the officer tried to take the girls into custody on the trespassing charge. That was inside the school. They fought back and this is what happened outside the school.

The person who runs in from the left, toward the end of the video, is an off duty officer who was on his way to work at 21 Division, just a couple of minutes away from me. I think that the officer deserves credit for not just drawing her gun, or resorting to her tonfa. Others are using it as an opportunity to criticize current police hiring practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpFA9KAWrA

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

The city I live near has blown up in crime this past year. Shootings, murders, hit & run deaths, robberies, etc.

FYI dont run a smoke shop in the ghetto if you dont want to be held up. Just about every one of them got hit in a month.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I think that the officer deserves credit for not just drawing her gun, or resorting to her tonfa.
I have mixed feelings about that. Yeah, she didn't need to shoot anybody. But she damn sure wasn't controlling the situation or either suspect. That, to me, makes the situation even more dangerous. And it teaches those girls a really bad lesson about dealing with cops.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Baton to the face would have stopped that.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Baton to the face would have stopped that.
I'd make a bad cop. Corpses don't commit assault.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I have mixed feelings about that. Yeah, she didn't need to shoot anybody. But she damn sure wasn't controlling the situation or either suspect. That, to me, makes the situation even more dangerous. And it teaches those girls a really bad lesson about dealing with cops.
Fortunately Peel Regional Police have strap holsters, so it was unlikely that one of the subjects would get control of her gun. What we see in that video is less than half of the actual incident and it all started inside the school, where the two girls were trespassing. The pepper spray came out a bit late. The tonfa could have been out by that time, but wasn't.

Hopefully they will be charged, as adults, with assault police and learn the lesson the hard way.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

I wonder if all this backlash against police brutality is going to have the effect of pussifying some of the police into being too scared to administer the proper level of force. I don't care if the girls were 10 years old! Once they started punching the officers, they were entitled to and should have received the full slam down! I feel that if I were in that situation as an officer I would have been as diplomatic as possible and even if they hit me, as long as it wasn't anything I felt as painful or dangerous I would probably still be fairly calm about it but, they WOULD do whatever it was I was ordering them to do whether willingly or not!
I've been in a situation where I was trying to subdue someone and they were punching and kicking me but, they weren't strong enough for it to hurt me so, I just continued trying to get a better grip on them without doing them any harm.
However, I had another similar situation where a person DID hit me in a way that hurt and I ended up cutting my knuckle on their tooth. Of course, it came through their lip to do so. They calmed down rather quickly at that point.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
I wonder if all this backlash against police brutality is going to have the effect of pussifying some of the police into being too scared to administer the proper level of force. I don't care if the girls were 10 years old! Once they started punching the officers, they were entitled to and should have received the full slam down! I feel that if I were in that situation as an officer I would have been as diplomatic as possible and even if they hit me, as long as it wasn't anything I felt as painful or dangerous I would probably still be fairly calm about it but, they WOULD do whatever it was I was ordering them to do whether willingly or not!
I've been in a situation where I was trying to subdue someone and they were punching and kicking me but, they weren't strong enough for it to hurt me so, I just continued trying to get a better grip on them without doing them any harm.
However, I had another similar situation where a person DID hit me in a way that hurt and I ended up cutting my knuckle on their tooth. Of course, it came through their lip to do so. They calmed down rather quickly at that point.
I'm afraid that's exactly what's going to happen and it's going to get a good cop killed. What happened on a local board, when someone posted this story, gave me a headache. There were a couple of people who immediately jumped in to ask 'what the officer did to provoke the kids.' How does a cop provoke a kid, who is trespassing, in such a way that makes her get into a fist fight with someone who is carrying a tonfa, pepper spray, and a GUN?!

Unfortunately there are several things at play here. A few bad cops are making some people go all FTP on all cops. This in turn fosters an us vs. them attitude in even the good cops.

Then there's the "Free to be, You and me" generation of parents and teachers who either refuse to, or are incapable of, disciplining their spawn.

Those kids are growing up to be budding young sociopaths, for whom their own gratification is the only understandable goal. There's no empathy, no shame, and no civic responsibility in them. It's not all of them, but it's enough to create a very real problem.

And that's still leaving aside all of the racial and religious issues, real imagined, and invented, that create tension.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Hopefully they will be charged, as adults, with assault police and learn the lesson the hard way.
Agreed.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote