Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default How do you know which bike to buy?

How did you figure which bike to buy? Or how are you determining which bike to get next? Do you read reviews in magazines? Sit on them at the dealer and decide which feels best? Which one looks the best? Which one has the highest HP? The fastest? The most expensive? A Gixxer because all the stunters use them? The best according to the internet?

I like to read magazine reviews. I have a bunch of Zerox boxes full of motorcycle magazines from the late 70's to the mid 90's. I recently saw a 1995 Yamaha YZF750 for sale. I dug through my mags and found the April, 1996 issue of Motorcyclist Magazine where they compared the YZF against the GSX-R750 and ZX-7R.

The new (at the time) lightweight GSX-R won the competition. But to me, it wasn't the best bike. The Yami had the best brakes, made the least HP, only 103, had the best fit and finish, had the smoothest-shifting tranny, was the largest and roomiest, had the biggest fuel tank, and the best wind protection.

The Suzuki had to stay between 10,000 and 13,000 to go 2 full seconds quicker around the track than the Yamaha. It was also a half second quicker in the 1/4 mile. So if one only looked at the track and 1/4 mile time, the Suzuki is the winner. But I read deeper into the article and I actually ride on the streets, so the Yamaha was the winner for my tastes.

By the way, when I started looking through my magazines and finally found the right magazine, after looking through all the other articles, the bike had sold. Maybe next time.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Since all the major bikes are fairly close, except for Kawi, looks have a big part of it for me. Everybody has a GSXR and Honda's don't have a slipper clutch. I also read past reviews and forums to see what problems they have and see if the maker has corrected the problem. Like Yamaha with the R6's bearing problems. Fixed for '08 and the mid-range is more powerful. The R6 will be my next bike. Just don't know what year yet. It'll be an '08+, but it'll also be another two years before my bike's paid off.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

I looked at the price tags first.

then i looked at the ones i liked.

Then i looked at the ones i didnt like as much.

Then i bought the one i like that felt comfy and was in my price range.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

Price, then looks, then you have to sit on em and realy go off of feel! Because all the manufacturers are keeping them neck and neck as far as performance!! I do read the reviews, but i would rather get a personal review from a friend because i know theyre style and what they're looking for so I ususaly try to find that first! Good thread!

Last edited by vabarber2; 03-16-2008 at 05:37 PM..
vabarber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Where to start............

In my youth (yes, I WAS young once) I would read and research and all that stuff.

Now I look for deals on interesting bikes; buy for price and resale, knowing that I'll be riding another one in a couple of weeks or months. Most of the fun for me is in riding and comparing all the great stuff out there. There really are damn few BAD bikes.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

My current bikes don't really count - they were part dream... part making things simple. One bike can serve parts to another so I don't ever have all bikes down. So, if something happens, I can order parts / snag parts and always have one running.

I'm right now researching motards... KTM is winning. That, primarily because they are run internationally through deserts, ponds, snow, everything and don't die...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

the voices in my head tell me what to ride.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I read alot of mags. But the reviews are very similar. Almost identical. So they can't be trust too much. I look at torque, not necessarily HP. And the torque curve. Flat wins. Usability. I'm not gonna roll at 150, 160, 180+ mph. So top end don't mean shit to me. I want power where I can use it. Vtwin all the way. Buell has a nice torque curve, and they handle well. They are also unique and not every knucklehead on the block has one. In fact, no knucklheads own them. Win.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

My husband picked mine out...it was my first bike and my birthday present.

All I knew was that I did not want something as fast at the 91 Honda F4i 600 that I had first rode.

He picked it because it was in good shape and it was a good price...also because if I drop it (or if he drops it AGAIN ) I will not be too upset.
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
t-homo
WSB Champion

My current bike, i liked it a lot, was a great beginner bike, and was cheap and close. I am hoping to sell it this spring for a couple hundred more than I paid for it. For me, being in the middle of missouri, I will be looking for the nicest bike that is close and in my price range. If I have a couple different ones to choose from, i will probably go with honda because of their reliability.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote