Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Model Reviews

Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R
Default Aprilia RSV4/BMW S1000RR demo ride

Took these two sweet pieces of European machinery out on a nice demo ride yesterday. The scene was this: 3 people. 2 demo riders and Mike, the guy from the shop. The demo is an hour long (or more accurately about an 1:15). You start out on one bike, stop half way and switch to the other bike. We made a nice run up the mountain that I ride regularly. Though, on these high dollar bikes I was riding like a rookie.

First the bikes:

I started out the Aprilia RSV4R.

First thing. As the group before me pulled in I noticed how awesome the stock exhaust sounds on this bike. I can only imagine the sweetness that would sing from an aftermarket pipe. Killer. Now, this bike is tiny. So we get under way. Clutch engagement was smooth. Pull was relatively light. Much lighter than my Buell, which requires Hulk like forearms to pull the clutch.

The bike is simply NOT comfortable. But shit, does it fall into turns. No effort required. Not super stable at lean, but not insanely twitchy. The engine was nice. Great sound. Good torque. Pulled clean and hard. I was short shifting a lot. Probably b/c I'm used to the low redline of my XB and simply because at 6 grand the Ape is making A LOT of noise and plenty of power. I wound it out several times and it continues to pull clean all the way to the near 14,000 red line. The engine has a good bike on engine braking. Therefore constant working of the brakes wasn't really required.

The brakes. Brembos. Solid. Not super strong initial bite. Nice and progressive. Good feel.

I've become accustomed to the long throw and clunky gear box of my Buell. So much that I dont like the slick Jap and Euro transmissions. I can't even tell if that shit is shifting. Thus, I was very sloppy on my shifts. Even a short pull on the clutch lever didn't allow me a clean shift. I'm just not used to the bike or the slick tranny. Not the bikes fault. A few more miles would have certainly gotten me more familiar.

A couple things I didn't like: The heat. My feet got hot quick. And the dash. A lot of info up there and none of it is very large. Gear indicator (first bike I've rode with one) was way too small. Tach easily readable, though. Another thing. The VIBES. This bike has them in spades. Through the bars and through the pegs. My hands and feet were very tingly after 35 minutes of so on this beast. And the mirrors. Take them off b/c they are USELESS. The only view they provide is that of your armpits. Ditch them.

Over all a very nice bike. A very track oriented bike. It's a bike with a heart and soul, and character. Much like my Buell.

More pics of the RVS4:

Now, on to the S1000RR.

We ran the same route home in reverse. First thing. This bike sits lower than the Ape and feels just a touch heavier. Also, MUCH more comfortable. Similar to my Buell, but slightly more racey ergos.

This bad boy was fitted with a slick Akrapovic exhaust. Sounded nice, but not loud at all. Much nicer dash than the RSV. Big bright shift light. Big gear indicator. Easily read tach.

The engine was smooth. Pulls clean from down low and pulls smooth all the way to the top. Wasn't overwhelmed with the power. Just smooth and clean and easy to ride.

She took just a touch more effort to turn in than the Ape. Just went over easy and was SUPER stable. No twitching, held a great line. Suspension was just a bit softer than I like. The Ape's suspension was set up perfect for me.

I was cleaner shifting this bike than the RSV4. But, forget the clutch. The German is much easier and smoother to shift without the clutch. Also, I could run this a gear lower than the V4.

Not nearly as much engine braking on the Beemer. So, the Brembos got more of a work out. And SHIT...what a set of brakes. WOW! They bike fast and they bite HARD. Talk about stopping on a dime. Never did activate the ABS, though. Really nice brakes.

The vibes on this bike were much more tame. Just a little though the pegs. My only real complaint was the stiff throttle. My hand got cramped holding the throttle steady. The bike was super responsive to throttle adjustment too. I'd imagine at higher rates of speed and track riding this would be excellent.

Overall BMW hit a home run with this bike. Really impressive machine. Super smooth, insanely refined. Not bad for a first effort at a full on sportbike.

More BMW pics:

SUMMARY:

I really wanted to love the Aprilia. It's got heart, soul, and it's a V. The sound is awesome. It's quirky, like my Buell. I like that. But holy shit if the BMW isn't a great bike. So smooth, so refined, and despite FNFLMAN's best wishes, it's EASY to ride fast. Even for a jabrone like me. Just confidence inspiring. The Ape isn't. It makes you work. But the reward is a great handling bike with killer looks.

And yes, Tigger, both bikes have way better numbers than my Buell. And I know it kills you that I actually like that bike. Sorry, brother. Both bikes have stronger brakes, sure. But the RSV felt very similar in progressiveness and bite. And the BMW seating position was very similar to the XB. Both bikes will out run the Buell easily. I know that. But REAL TALK, my Buell pulls harder off the line than both. Sorry. I know you are hating me for typing that.

All told, if I was buying one today it would be the Aprilia RSV4. I like bikes with character. But the BMW is a GREAT GREAT ride.

And a final photo for your viewing pleasure:

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

What mode was the bmw in? That could explain the lack of power. The dealer won't put it in slick mode for demos.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
What mode was the bmw in? That could explain the lack of power. The dealer won't put it in slick mode for demos.
You beat me...it was probably in "rookie" mode to be exact.

Marko, it never bothers me that someone "likes" something more than something else... BTW I've seen the performance numbers on both the Buell and the BMW, pardon me if I have a hard time believing that the Buell "pulls harder" than the BMW. According to the 1/4 mile, 60-80 and 80-100 numbers...well, not likely. It may feel that way to you and I can appreciate that but the numbers don't agree with you. BTW I defiantly rode Yamahas through the 90s even though all the mags and numbers pointed towards Honda, so I understand how a bike will call to you.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
You beat me...it was probably in "rookie" mode to be exact...
I was thinking "rain" mode. It has lower horsepower and a slower delivery throttle... no way it was lagging in the upper modes. That gives 193 and a quarter turn throttle.

The BMW would be more smooth upshifting without a clutch - that is, if it has the quick shifter The first time I rode it I went to 6th at 40mph because I didn't think it was shifting, it was that smooth

What a great demo they gave you! Trying them back to back gives a unique view that most won't ever get.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I was thinking "rain" mode. It has lower horsepower and a slower delivery throttle... no way it was lagging in the upper modes. That gives 193 and a quarter turn throttle.

The BMW would be more smooth upshifting without a clutch - that is, if it has the quick shifter The first time I rode it I went to 6th at 40mph because I didn't think it was shifting, it was that smooth

What a great demo they gave you! Trying them back to back gives a unique view that most won't ever get.
Real Talk. I was kidding about "rookie" mode...
Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Real Talk. I was kidding about "rookie" mode...
It's alright, we call it "neutered"

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

What are all the modes, I forget. I didnt test ride rain and I know they didn't install the fastest mode yet because it was still below the break in point when they will do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Thanks. I still need to get my ass to the BMW dealer and test ride one. I rode a '05 1000RR today and I think I'm addicted to the limitless power in any gear at any RPM. I may be looking into getting a 1000 for strictly street use. Sell the street stuff from my R6 and make it track-only. Decicions, decisions. I'd be interested in a '07+ R1 or '08 and up 1000RR. Wish I could afford the Beemer.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Thanks. I still need to get my ass to the BMW dealer and test ride one. I rode a '05 1000RR today and I think I'm addicted to the limitless power in any gear at any RPM. I may be looking into getting a 1000 for strictly street use. Sell the street stuff from my R6 and make it track-only. Decicions, decisions. I'd be interested in a '07+ R1 or '08 and up 1000RR. Wish I could afford the Beemer.
But I thought you were always one of the, "No one needs a liter class bike on the street types"... Look if all of you 600 guys go out and buy 1000s, who the heck am I going to argue with? Come on say it with me, "Only douches and guys with small penises buy liter bikes"...
Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
But I thought you were always one of the, "No one needs a liter class bike on the street types"... Look if all of you 600 guys go out and buy 1000s, who the heck am I going to argue with? Come on say it with me, "Only douches and guys with small penises buy liter bikes"...
seriously, could you imagine if he rode a k5 instead of the honda?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote