Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Thumper996
VTwins and One Lungs rule

Moto: Turning wrenches on my rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post

So, trail braking? Good thing to know how to do. It will make you faster. Will it make you safer? I don't think so.

JC
That is a bunch of BS, if you never practice braking late into a turn then you will never have that skill when needed in an emergency.

Example, you enter the turn at your non-braking speed, but out of no where car, animal, or debris is in the road causes you to have to get that sucker stopped under control whole redirecting the bike.

If you don't learn to do this under normal riding conditions you are most likely going to crash when you actually need to trail brake and redirect the bike at the same time.

Trail braking is all about hard entry into a turn while under hard braking. You either can or cannot do this.

So flame me if you want, but i will continue to trail brake into almost every turn.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
That is a bunch of BS, if you never practice braking late into a turn then you will never have that skill when needed in an emergency.

Example, you enter the turn at your non-braking speed, but out of no where car, animal, or debris is in the road causes you to have to get that sucker stopped under control whole redirecting the bike.
That's all fine and good, but I think you need to reexamine the conventional definition of trail braking, (which, btw, NW did a pretty good job of). If you aren't on the brakes when you enter a turn, you're not trail braking. The situation you're describing, is emergency braking. Not the same thing, and not the same purpose.

Quote:
Trail braking is all about hard entry into a turn while under hard braking.
Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, now I remember....

Quote:
So flame me if you want, but i will continue to trail brake into almost every turn.
Knock yourself out.

JC
Old 02-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Thumper996
VTwins and One Lungs rule

Moto: Turning wrenches on my rides

Quote:
That's all fine and good, but I think you need to reexamine the conventional definition of trail braking, (which, btw, NW did a pretty good job of). If you aren't on the brakes when you enter a turn, you're not trail braking. The situation you're describing, is emergency braking. Not the same thing, and not the same purpose.

JC
I know the difference between trail braking as part of normal entry into a turns apex and emergency braking in a turn.

You miss the point i was trying to get across, some riders never learn to trail brake at all and when they need to lean and brake hard in the middle of a turn unexpectedly they do not have the skill or experience to do so and typically they crash. That is all i was trying to say.

I was taught to also use the rear brake out of a turn to correct the bikes attitude if drifting to wide. Dragging a little rear brake while on the throttle will bring the bike down more into the turn of course so will pinning throttle, but that takes skill i still have not developed after 35 years of riding

Just my $0.02 worth as we all ride different.

Last edited by Thumper996; 02-06-2010 at 12:08 AM..
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
I know the difference between trail braking as part of normal entry into a turns apex and emergency braking in a turn.

You miss the point i was trying to get across, some riders never learn to trail brake at all and when they need to lean and brake hard in the middle of a turn unexpectedly they do not have the skill or experience to do so and typically they crash. That is all i was trying to say.

I was taught to also use the rear brake out of a turn to correct the bikes attitude if drifting to wide. Dragging a little rear brake while on the throttle will bring the bike down more into the turn of course so will pinning throttle, but that takes skill i still have not developed after 35 years of riding

Just my $0.02 worth as we all ride different.
I'm not disagreeing with that at all.

Quote:
So, trail braking? Good thing to know how to do.
JC
Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
..... Dragging a little rear brake while on the throttle will bring the bike down more into the turn of course so will pinning throttle.....
Not with a big piston fork setup. You can throw the fork compressing on braking and trying to get the rear end to squat on exit out of your head. lol

I trail brake at the track and sometimes in the canyon. But in the canyon I usually don't. It's too much work to accelerate the shit on the straights.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote