Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 10-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #21
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
Personally, I'd definitely use the time delay relay to prevent the on/off/on cycling. I don't remember where I read that the cycling during warmup is particularly hard on HID ballasts/bulbs, but it makes sense given the fact that they have a large inrush current and take a bit to 'warm-up' - it couldn't do anything other than help prolong their life. You should be powering them thru a relay anyway & just using the stock headlight wire to trigger the relay, and the cost of the timer relay over a standard (high quality) 'bosche'-style isn't much - the one I posted is only ~$26 shipped.

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/...delayrelay.php

Oh - and while some bikes don't turn on the headlight until the bike is started, my GSXR750 switches on immediately & switches off when the starter is pressed. I'm assuming your Busa operates the same way. If not, and it doesn't switch the lights on 'til after starting, a timer relay would be redundant (though a regular relay should still be used).
I wired mine with a relay. Can I wire the timer right into the relay I've already run?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

You could make it work, using the timer relay's output to power the other relay's trigger coil - but it would be relatively messy & give you twice the connections/components for potential failure. Also, the timer relay is solid state (transistor doing the switching), so I think its lifespan & reliability is probably much better than a mechanical relay. Since it just uses std. spade terminals, it should be easy to just replace your current one.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #23
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

hmm.........$26

1) extend the life of a ~$75 battery for ? longer,
2) extend the life of a $54 HID kit, w/ a lifetime warranty
3) intro another elec. component $26 that could fail and iif system should fail i would have to "take to" to deduce the problem

K.I.S.S.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
hmm.........$26
3) intro another elec. component $26 that could fail and iif system should fail i would have to "take to" to deduce the problem

K.I.S.S.

To avoid overloading the headlight switch/circuit (due to much higher inrush, not operating current), it should be powered thru a relay regardless. Given that, why not use a device which maximizes the life of the system?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #25
RACER X
AMA Supersport

lets assume it's a 30amp or even 20a fuse for the lighting.

in rush is 8-9amps max.......no biggie to the system.

personally i like the HIDS to draw straight off the battery myself. and have done 2 cars like this. but w/ bikes an limited space....

yes it'll maximize the sytem, it'll also add another component that could fail in a harsh env. like a bike.......so one could consider it a draw.......

still haven't ruled it out, honestly haven't even started the bike after installing the kit(yes i tested if it lights up)....the baby woke up an, and it was me and the kid in the garage , so i didn't want to make the noise.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 10-05-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Don't you realize Tigger knows more than you so called electrical engineers?
Come on, you know that I'm just fucking with Trip! IO don't care if people delay their headlights or not... Shit in a way, if he is right, then we should all delay the headlights until the bike is started period although considering that the stator's out put and the fact that it costs more than a battery, maybe putting the HID warmup cycle on the battery is a better option....

In all seriousness, he got his HIDs and had a bad experience, I got mine and had a good experience. What's the real difference? From a technical aspect I'm sure that Trip is right but like Racer said, who knows exactly how long this will extend the battery's life? How do we know that this isn't just a Honda problem? Anyway, I've gotten away with it this long, so I'm not changing mine. Hey Racer, I don't feel like it, call DDM and ask them what they think. They probably sell a delay....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #27
RACER X
AMA Supersport

naw they have a wiring harness for car, and i guess you could use 1 for bikes.....but no relay

this is what they say in the info about the harness though

"HIDs require 6 amps of current in an instantaneous draw"
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 10-05-2009 at 04:03 PM..
Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
naw they have a wiring harness for car, and i guess you could use 1 for bikes.....but no relay

this is what they say in the info about the harness though

"HIDs require 6 amps of current in an instantaneous draw"

WOW!!! That's a fucking shit ton!!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #29
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

I don't understand why it would have Imax=15A (presumably per side, so 30A total?) on the case sticker then.

I have been considering a set of the H4 hi/low for my VFR for a while now, so I went ahead & called DDM and talked with one of their tech guys. He said that he didn't know the actual max. current draw, but did state that though direct battery connection was best, it wasn't necessary & many customers have powered theirs directly from the headlight circuit with no problems (doesn't mean that some haven't had problems, however). He also said that a time delay wasn't necessary, though it couldn't hurt to reduce the cycling, as long as you didn't turn them on/off repeatedly in a short time. Seems like my info/assumptions are old and/or pertains to retrofitting OE Phillips ballasts (I looked into that about 3 years ago). My speculation is that the DDM units 'choke' the inrush current to eliminate/minimize the resulting problems? I think I may go ahead with a H4 hi/low kit (which includes a battery harness/relay), and I'll probably still install a timer, just 'cus that's what seems 'right' & best to me.

Last edited by Kerry_129; 10-05-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Old 10-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Come on, you know that I'm just fucking with Trip! IO don't care if people delay their headlights or not... Shit in a way, if he is right, then we should all delay the headlights until the bike is started period although considering that the stator's out put and the fact that it costs more than a battery, maybe putting the HID warmup cycle on the battery is a better option....

In all seriousness, he got his HIDs and had a bad experience, I got mine and had a good experience. What's the real difference? From a technical aspect I'm sure that Trip is right but like Racer said, who knows exactly how long this will extend the battery's life? How do we know that this isn't just a Honda problem? Anyway, I've gotten away with it this long, so I'm not changing mine. Hey Racer, I don't feel like it, call DDM and ask them what they think. They probably sell a delay....
You know most sportbikes use the same batteries from Yuasa right? You're argument about gilles is now completely gone to shit and yet you consider arguing about another topic which you have a complete lack of knowledge. Basically if you want to be like tigger and spend a fortunate on shit and not worry about the cost vs quality. Than do what you want. If you plan on keeping your bike more than a year, it would be beneficial to you to protect your battery and bulb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote