Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

found out my flasher is all in one unit with two other relays-too much work to get to the wires that go to the flasher part and then splice into the harness.

radio shack sucks, had nothing

i ended up going with two more for a total of four, since the one electronics place that shouldve had it only had up to 25w in 2,3,4 ohm. built a box out of sheetmetal(doubles as heatsink) mounted it to subframe, soldered everything together, works good....cept my front blinkers are much dimmer and i lost the fast blinking, which i liked. slightly dimmer with one resistor, noticeably dimmer with the two. so im going to try a 25w 2ohm or 3ohm, since it was so easy to do and they cost $1.50. the rear taillight looks really cool tho. nice and bright

electronics store - $1.50 and theyre called resistors.
Auto parts store - $9.99 and theyre called load equalizers

id upload the pics but i cant find my camera's usb cable.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Radio Shack does suck these days. Used to be you could get anything you needed to build just about anything electronic and there was always at least one old guy there who knew everything about everything electronic. Now it's just a mini-Best Buy.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

You are lucky to even find a radio shack with parts now. I have never had good luck with their parts. They always seem to fail. First thing I do when troubleshooting some of my handbuilt boards is to see if I put any radio shack parts on it and replace them. I use mouser.com or a local electronics store we have in Knoxville.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

No kidding - I remember all the project stuff & shitloads of switches/components/cool stuff they used to stock when I was a kid. Had one of those build-a-circuit boxes with switches/lights/spring-contacts built in that I designed a simple binary logic 'computer' on & then made the permanent one that won a regional science-fair (surprised the shit outta myself, I was a slacker student ), all with components from the Shack. Alas, gone the way of corporate America now though & mostly just a bunch of generic big-box store type stuff except for a few bins.

Combo relay, huh? Hadn't seen that before, but makes sense from a small/light/integrated standpoint. I can see not wanting to dig into the harness, but it should only be 2/3 wires (+ in & out, and 3 if you use the ground from the relay harness vs. frame-grounding) to identify & splice . Sounds like you're going about the resistor install well & that can work fine w/ the right values - seems like as much or more hassle & not as clean as just splicing to me though, especially w/ doing it well by making a mount/sink (but I'm just anal like that). Either way - good luck w/ getting it sorted-out & kudos for diving into it and figuring out how to install yourself!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #15
Dnyce
flyin high

Yea that sounds about right, no one there(radio shack) knew what I was talking about, they just pointed and said "if u don't see it, we don't have it"
the place I found is tiny, they still have VCR accessories lol-but they had alot of useful stuff too, some older guy was workin there, talked kinda slow but seemed to know everything.

I'll check mouser too, I finished it about 3am this morning so now That it's rideable again I can wait for shipping/transit time.
I'd prefer the flasher, bcuz I like the fast blinking front signals, but there were about 20 wires it appeared up in the front fairing,(integrated relay/flasher is next to fusebox) and it looks like I'd have to remove the front fairing, the right side and the ram air tube to get to the right wires. I already had the tail off, and some threaded holes in the subframe for the box I made. Seemed easier to keep my electrical shenanigans in one location lol. I'll have to dust my manual off one day and find a easier place to access those wires tho...

I bought some more resistors to try tonight, and I found my camera cable
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
Dnyce
flyin high

heres some pics
started red, went smoked last year when my turn signals fell apart, then last few days i upgraded. best look to date, and not so cookie cutter gsxr undertail for these years.(two round led lights)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18677_1325133481197_1016683364_31042021_6442402_n.jpg (36.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 18677_1325134361219_1016683364_31042022_1726607_n.jpg (35.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg light.jpg (244.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg light1.jpg (228.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg light11.jpg (276.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #17
Dnyce
flyin high

Well after I learned about resistors and finished my lil project, I found a site selling basicaly a complete replacement combo relay for my bike. $30 later, and I got rid of all the wiring I made and the box I built. Signals are super bright again, and they function sequentially like I wanted
for LEDs lol
Old 04-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #18
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
Well after I learned about resistors and finished my lil project, I found a site selling basicaly a complete replacement combo relay for my bike. $30 later, and I got rid of all the wiring I made and the box I built. Signals are super bright again, and they function sequentially like I wanted
for LEDs lol
Got link? Sounds like a handy place.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #19
Dnyce
flyin high

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Got link? Sounds like a handy place.
here's what I bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=170476558432&ru =http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40% 26_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3D170476558432%2B%26_sacat %3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=#ht_2365wt_722

can't find it on the site for whatever reason. Luckybike.com

apparently I can't hyperlink on the phone...