Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Racerboy
The Other White Meat

Moto: 1997 Cadillac Seville SLS

#1, 1993, 10 years into being a rider, low sided in gravel at about 30 mph because I dropped a pack of cigarettes. Broken throttle wrist, some how so amp'd up I was able to get the bike going and ride it home before going to the hospital. Time to quit smoking.

#2, Oct 20th, 2000, Head On Collision, 50 mph, car going about 15 mph. 5 major separations of the pelvis, right leg sent through hip socket 4", left foot 4 bones broken, left ankle broken, Elbow detached and left hand sent backwards underneath Triceps, Radial head destroyed, Radius shattered, plate and 4 screws installed, Was in Pelvic Halo for 104 days, have two 9" rods side-to-side in rear of pelvis, 4 permanent screws in the front, 6 months in hospital and 6 more in and out of rehab centers. What did I learn? No riding in the left lane, center only for about a year after I started riding again. Took me another year to go by the accident site with out flinching.

#3 April 15, 2003. Rear ended a car who's driver decided to turn right from the middle lane...(I was in the right lane)....Stayed on the bike as it did a complete barrel roll after impact. Double break of Left Clavicle, Left Elbow re-broken, both wrists compression fractured, 6 left side ribs, right thumb broken from joint-to-joint requiring pins to reconnect, re-broke left ankle, 6 hours in hospital, 9 weeks recovery. Learned to watch for Haitian women as most in South FL are not licensed or insured. Make sure personal insurance is high so when you sue you own insurance co. for payment, its enough.

#4 Memorial Day 2006. I was rear ended while practicing at Moroso Motorsports Park by a fellow rider in my same class. Broken: Right Scapula (top to bottom) left middle finger, 6 ribs on right side, left ankle again. 5 days in trauma center, 9 weeks before going back to work. Learned NOT to talk to the points leader in the class before race about how close I was to catching him for the championship....since he is the one who crashed into me.

www.CheckeredFlagOils.com
954-975-BIKE (2453)
623-850-1OIL (1645)

Last edited by Racerboy; 03-21-2009 at 10:37 AM..
Racerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy View Post
#1, 1993, 10 years into being a rider, low sided in gravel at about 30 mph because I dropped a pack of cigarettes. Broken throttle wrist, some how so amp'd up I was able to get the bike going and ride it home before going to the hospital. Time to quit smoking.

#2, Oct 20th, 2000, Head On Collision, 50 mph, car going about 15 mph. 5 major separations of the pelvis, right leg sent through hip socket 4", left foot 4 bones broken, left ankle broken, Elbow detached and left hand sent backwards underneath Triceps, Radial head destroyed, Radius shattered, plate and 4 screws installed, 6 months in hospital and 6 more in and out of rehab centers. What did I learn? No riding in the left lane, center only for about a year after I started riding again. Took me another year to go by the accident site with out flinching.

#3 April 15, 2003. Rear ended a car who's driver decided to turn right from the middle lane...(I was in the right lane)....Stayed on the bike as it did a complete barrel roll after impact. Double break of Left Clavicle, Left Elbow re-broken, both wrists compression fractured, 6 left side ribs, right thumb broken from joint-to-joint requiring pins to reconnect, re-broke left ankle, 6 hours in hospital, 9 weeks recovery. Learned to watch for Haitian women as most in South FL are not licensed or insured. Make sure personal insurance is high so when you sue you own insurance co. for payment, its enough.

#4 Memorial Day 2006. I was rear ended while practicing at Moroso Motorsports Park by a fellow rider in my same class. Broken: Right Scapula (top to bottom) left middle finger, 6 ribs on right side, left ankle again. 5 days in trauma center, 9 weeks before going back to work. Learned NOT to talk to the points leader in the class before race about how close I was to catching him for the championship....since he is the one who crashed into me.
Damn!
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Damn!
Maybe he's Evil Knievel's stunt double?

Damn is an understatement.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy View Post

#2, Oct 20th, 2000, Head On Collision, 50 mph, car going about 15 mph. 5 major separations of the pelvis, right leg sent through hip socket 4", left foot 4 bones broken, left ankle broken, Elbow detached and left hand sent backwards underneath Triceps, Radial head destroyed, Radius shattered, plate and 4 screws installed, Was in Pelvic Halo for 104 days, have two 9" rods side-to-side in rear of pelvis, 4 permanent screws in the front, 6 months in hospital and 6 more in and out of rehab centers. What did I learn? No riding in the left lane, center only for about a year after I started riding again. Took me another year to go by the accident site with out flinching.

given that I would either hang it up or drastically change the way I ride.

I have been very fortunate. No downs on street and in the dirt worse was a high side into soft loam so just scrapes and bruises.

Worst experience was watching my son miss a turn and go flipping through trees at nearly 40 MPH. Ripe old age of 13. Only thing he remembers is that I could suddenly fly as I jumped down the ravine to get to him. Result of that was two hyper extended knees, scrapes and bruises and broken helmet. No concussion luckily. Oh and a cold ass as he was laying in a creek when I got to him.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
R1up0n1
Yo

Moto: 2009 Yamaha V Star 950 Touring / 1995 Intruder

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail because some people know the details and the extent of my crash in 2007. I was in full leathers, boots, gloves, and helmet. 120 mph crash resulted in a broken collar bone, and that was it.... no rash at all.

Another one I had before that was very minor caused by a driver on the wrong side of the road.... again full leathers, boots, gloves and helmet... no rash, no broken bones...just a rashed up bike.

Moral of the story... full leathers and all the gear save lives.
R1up0n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

I've been through quite a few get offs but not anything too serious, I grew up riding dirtbikes and laid down my little 80cc Suzuki quite a few times. I guess it toughened me up and I learned not to freak out. Bruises, cuts, and a few black eyes.

I got into a tangle with a cage while I still had my Shadow. Pregnant chick pulled out in front of me mid-corner. Had absolutely no where to go but into the side of the car. Jacket rode up and I wound up with some road rash, nothing too serious. I was more pissed that I'd just finished repairs not more than 20 minutes prior, bike was totaled.

It takes a lot to shake me mentally anymore, but physical injuries still happen. I learned to just take a deep breath and let all the emotions leave when you exhale. It also helps me that I work on my own bikes, so even if I get injured I can still do something constructive i.e. putting the bike back together if it's worth it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Week-end before Thanksgiving....2005....about 48F outside...went for a ride...attempted a "show off" wheelie...spun up the rear....came off at about 35 maybe? Shattered my right hip socket on impact with the ground....full gear...didn't have a mark on me other than the bruising from the internal bleeding. I didn't walk for 3 months....didn't walk without a limp for another 3 months after that.

Wrong time...wrong place...to push it....
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:14 AM   #18
The Awesome
Custom User Title

I would be here all night if I detailed all my crashes, so I'll just profile the most recent one.

Speed was about 160 at the time I made the mistake that started the series of events. Speed at the time I impacted the sand bank at the edge of the track is unknown. Injuries were multiple breaks of my right arm, radial nerve palsy, shoulder ligament damage, and a concussion. I haven't ridden since, so the mental impact is unknown. My desire to race has not changed, I've just chosen not to.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Nothing really. It was looking like a highside over a cliff but I managed to catch it enough to bring the speed down and turn it into a slower lowside. I hit the ground, did kind of a front flip and was back on my feet running down the hill. I got turned around and ran back to the bike, shut it off and gave it the old adrenaline fueled Hulkamania lift. (This ended up hurting my arm a little.) At this point I realized the bike stopped with the front tire hanging about an inch over the edge of the drop off and when I lifted it the bike tried to roll down it. I had to brace myself and hold it in place while waiting for the guy I was riding with to realize something was wrong and come back to give me a hand.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #20
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Man talk about cringing...just reading some of these responses !!

Not just for my sake but the fact that my wife rides...man I'd hate for her to go through some of this stuff.

My first accident was 4 days after I bought my first motorcycle and had NO training and very limited experience.

I was following too close and the line of cars in front of me locked it down due to an older gentleman pulling out in front of us and then stopping.

I was traveling about 45 mph on a 600 Ninja and locked up the front brake because I thought I was going to hit the pickup truck in front of me...front tires slid out and I went down.

No major injuries but had roadrash from both wrist to both elbows.

I was wearing a t-shirt and no jacket.

My worst accident was on a BigDog Bulldog cruiser and while rounding a curve to the left with a line of traffic facing me sitting still a guy in a Lexus IS300 decided to turn left in front of me. He was behind a big box truck/U-Haul type and the sun was in his eyes. He didn't see me when he whipped out. I didn't see him until he whipped out as well and I was about 3 feet from his grill/front right quarter panel.

BAM...I went sailing through the air and then tumbled/rolled down the street a ways. My first thought was "man I f*cked my bike up !!" I felt no pain but then saw something sticking out of my jeans...thought it was a piece of wood and tried to wipe it off.

Well it was my femur...compound fracture. I then looked back at it and noticed my foot was turned around backwards and swinging/blowing in the wind !! I said "screw the bike...somebody call 911 !!" They already had.

I ended up with a crushed heel...twisted/fractured ankle and the broken femur.

4 surgeries and 9 months on crutches later I was walking again...with a limp.

I still limp some and it's been 7 years.

I was probably going about 35 mph.

Last edited by z06boy; 03-23-2009 at 02:53 PM..
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote