Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 10-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
i2iSTUDIOS
Photog

Moto: 03 CBR600 F4i
Default So I've been riding for a week now

Things are going well, I think i've gone around 75 miles remembering all of the things from the MSF class. I want to practice that slow stupid box u turns maneuver so i'll try and find time this week to do that.

I picked up a few things and shoved them in the underseat storage area, a can of fix-a-flat inflation can, some FI concentrate additive, a couple bungee cords, and a towel.
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
Things are going well, I think i've gone around 75 miles remembering all of the things from the MSF class. I want to practice that slow stupid box u turns maneuver so i'll try and find time this week to do that.

I picked up a few things and shoved them in the underseat storage area, a can of fix-a-flat inflation can, some FI concentrate additive, a couple bungee cords, and a towel.
Don't worry about the slow stupid u turn. That is nothing but parking lot cool skills. It won't help you avoid an accident or save your life in an emergency situation.

The three things we teach in class that are usefull street survival skills are correct braking, correct cornering, and swerving. If you want to practice anything, I strongly encourage you to work on those three things.

If you want to practice the u turn, that's fine. But it's nothing more then "cool parking lot skills". Practice the things you will use often and that can save your life.

Good luck and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Chris

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
i2iSTUDIOS
Photog

Moto: 03 CBR600 F4i

Thx.

I haven't done any swerving yet, maybe I should do that. On corning, how do I know how leaned over I can be, getting on the highway onramp I tuck into the bike and lean with the bike, but I know that I can only do that so far until knee dragging in going to be required so the bike isn't leaned over too far. For normal riding will I ever be leaned over that far?
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

congrats, just continue to ease into things, it would be great if you had a mature riding partner to join you for some miles.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
congrats, just continue to ease into things, it would be great if you had a mature riding partner to join you for some miles.
Yep, just put the miles in. Go easy. Don't force things. Concentrate on being smooth with your inputs and controls. And the leaning and speed will follow.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
Thx.

I haven't done any swerving yet, maybe I should do that. On corning, how do I know how leaned over I can be, getting on the highway onramp I tuck into the bike and lean with the bike, but I know that I can only do that so far until knee dragging in going to be required so the bike isn't leaned over too far. For normal riding will I ever be leaned over that far?
Swerving can be fun, even after years of riding I still like to do a little bit when Im out. Practice doing it not so much with your handlebars but with your weight shifting or lower body. Hard to describe, but when you do it, you know it. Its effortless whereas moving the wheels manually with your arms can lead to loss of control and jerkiness.

As for getting that knee down:

1) You're never as close to the ground as you think you are.
2) In typical street commuting and riding you should never be aggressive enough to really consider street riding. Its dangerous, regardless of what all the "street racers" will tell you.

After you've been riding for awhile and have all your basics mastered, then worry about it. I think most of us are guilty of having a lil fun on the streets, but until you are further along in your riding, play it safe so you make it that long.

U turns are always good practice too for turning.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I would work on swerving as well, and emergency braking. Try to keep from locking up your rear wheel (most breaking with the front). Also be very contious when swerving of "counter steering". I'm sure they went over that in the class. Make a contious progressive push on the bar that you want to turn towards. I consider counter steering and braking the two most important skills to keep you on the road....rubber side down. Good luck and yes I would also keep fresh on your tight u-turns. I didn't practice those and now 40,000 miles later I am horrible and insecure about them. Wish I had practiced.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Y'all are funny. "I'd practice this, or practice that... "

My first thought - Congratulations on riding for a week... now go ride some more and forget about SPECIFICALLY practicing anything. Meaning, the movements will only get instilled into your brain by actually doing them rather than trolling around parking lots. Get out there and actually ride.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Azoomm I agree however I dont advise emergency stopping or swerving while out on the roads and both those skills do come in handy when you need them.

I rode all the time on my 250 but had a "swerve and stop incident" at an intersection and wish I had worked on not slamming the rear brake. I slid through the intersection and could have stopped the bike MUCH faster had I worked on braking technique. Packing on the miles will definitely make you a much safer better rider, but so will deticated practice on emergency maneuvers.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Azoomm I agree however I dont advise emergency stopping or swerving while out on the roads and both those skills do come in handy when you need them.

I rode all the time on my 250 but had a "swerve and stop incident" at an intersection and wish I had worked on not slamming the rear brake. I slid through the intersection and could have stopped the bike MUCH faster had I worked on braking technique. Packing on the miles will definitely make you a much safer better rider, but so will deticated practice on emergency maneuvers.
What she said. There is no better practice than to just do it, however some skills, as Neon stated, are much more practical for actual riding and come in handy so a lil extra practice can never hurt!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote