Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

Read ebbs! I not saying start on a ss, im saying not a crusier!! a 250 or 500 sporty!
vabarber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabarber2 View Post
Read ebbs! I not saying start on a ss, im saying not a crusier!! a 250 or 500 sporty!
where does it say start with a cruzer?

what you said is you didn't agree with the above... as far as I've read... it said start SMALL... a 250 or a 500...

you said,
Quote:
I disagree, SS isn't a beginer bike, but how do you learn to ride a sport bike riding anything else!
and what I was saying is you learn the fundimentals on something smaller then move up to the SS bike... you learn on the SS what is diffrent from the smaller bike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maygin View Post
I didn't get through the entire thing, but with me you are preaching to the choir. I've always wanted to get a 500 or 250 as my first bike because I want to learn and get comfortable riding before I start getting into the more expensive and speedy bikes.

It's like jumping in a Corvette as your first car, and driving 180 the first time on the highway. Before you're familiar with road conditions, how to turn and stop safely, etc. It's ridiculous.

What's worse are the people/dealers who will sell these hefty bikes to obvious beginners. I heard of one where the kid bought a 'busa and had to ask, "how do you start this thing?" A couple of weeks later he and his girlfriend were in the hospital after a crash (squids, too. Go figure).

Point being: I agree. And thank you.

Like I put in the first post... these aren't my words... I just thought it was a very well put explination to start small...

glad you agree... now get yourself a bike and ENJOY!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

So ebbs, after reading all that, I guess I fucked up. Damnit. Whatever will I do now?
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
So ebbs, after reading all that, I guess I fucked up. Damnit. Whatever will I do now?
give your bike to me and start over.

fyi... I started on a SV650 (for about 700 or so miles) my ZZR is my first bike though
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
where does it say start with a cruzer?

what you said is you didn't agree with the above... as far as I've read... it said start SMALL... a 250 or a 500...

you said,

and what I was saying is you learn the fundimentals on something smaller then move up to the SS bike... you learn on the SS what is diffrent from the smaller bike...

Like I put in the first post... these aren't my words... I just thought it was a very well put explination to start small...

glad you agree... now get yourself a bike and ENJOY!
Ok, i miss interpreteed the thread then you miss interpreted me! I concider a 250 or 500 to still be a sport bike and was saying to start there rather than on a cruzier, its an argument ive had with many who try to say learn on a cruiser 1st! I apologize sir! It was the end of my shift and I was just trying to knock out a few last posts! should have read more of that long ass post!
vabarber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Mule
Snidely Whiplash

Moto: 05 xb9sx

before i sold my ex-girlfriends buell blast, i would take it out routinely to charge it up and get the fluids movin....it was damned uncomfortable for my 6'0" tall frame, i'd end up sitting on the bitch seat and treating it like a chopper.....

My City Cross isn't all that accomodating for my height either, but i deal with it....as far as starting out with a beginner bike, my City Cross may have not been the most suitable bike to start off with, but I survived and have gotten use to it's low-end torque. I wouldn't trade my beginning experiences with it for anything....
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
upshift
Looing for a bike...

Moto: Nothing at the moment

Good post ebbs One of the guys on the mustang forum has an '05 CBR600RR as his first bike. He said he wouldn't have bought it if he'd known it would have so much power. Twofiddy's FTW!
upshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Update: My bike was a beginner bike
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #9
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6

Yeah my Bike i believe was a perfect begginer bike. Its A 250 but has full farings and has the crotch rocket feel and look to it... i know the New ninja has that look to it but oh well... mine has a bunch of stuff the ninja doesnt like digital screen,larger tank,more low to mid range torque for quicker starts, and larger tires for more stability...i think i did good with my choice now i need to sell and get a 600 ive put 6500 miles on it and now i want something bigger... a CBR,R6,ZX6,F4i,Katana(dont really want to heavy)SV650 or similar. But i myself have been very grateful to have a 250 and not a 600 or 1000... because if i had a bigger bike i know i would be in the hospital there are so many times over the past couple of months that really could of ended baddly if i didnt have that 250... anyways i recommend that everyone should start on a 250...and yes there are some small exceptions but y take the risk just buy the best selling bike ever AKA ninja 250 and have a few fun months on it then sell it(its the best selling bike so you know your going to sell it dont worry) just think twice before you go and buy that 600 or 1000....
Old 04-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

My first street bike was a '70's two-stroke two-fiddy, made about 18-20 hp when you wrung it's neck. I then graduated to a 350 sized bike (380 Suz two-stroker, it made a whopping 32 hp at the crank....mebbe 25-6 at the rear wheel), which carried me over 70,000 miles over the next 3 yrs, over most of the lower 48 states. I raced it, toured on it and used it as my daily commuter. I'm not certain I have EVER needed more power than what that little Suz supplied. Don't get me wrong.....I LOOOOOOVVE hp, speed and quickness in a motorcycle. But riding an "underpowered" bike quickly teaches you the things you may never learn on something that scares the bejeepers out of you;

retaining cornerspeed, finding the true apex, picking a good line, braking properly, smoothness, grace and precision. Make a mistake on a HP bike and you can cover it with a twist of the throttle; be ham-fisted or sloppy on a "slow" bike and it shows up like a whore in a revival meeting.

JMHO

Last edited by OTB; 04-16-2008 at 02:51 PM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote