Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Going Naked

So its time to start planning my next street ride. I'm just tired of having something go wrong with the Honda every riding season, and having to worry about the thing breaking down on me on a long ride. I have a guy that wants to help me rebuild the thing, but it may go on the backburner for awhile, or just get parted out completely. There are many 500 riders that would love to have parts off of my bike, and because the rarity (or even extinction) of some of the parts, I may be able to recoup most of the $1400 I paid for the thing.

So I've been reading reviews, watching videos, and asking owners about bikes for over a year now, and I've narrowed it down to 3. I'm kind of over the whole 600 supersport thing for the street. I did the R6 for a season and its just not worth it. They are begging to get in trouble with the law, expensive as shit to insure, and you can't do more than 45 minutes before you want to chop off your wrists. But I have gone to the dark side and taken interest in the naked/fighter segment. Eventually my goal is to get on a Tuono V4, as I already love the V4 engine.

So the 3 bikes that I can see myself on right now are the Ducati Monster 696, the Triumph Street Triple /R , and the Kawasaki ER-6N. And yes I understand the first two are in a higher price point and spec range than the little Kwacker.

Ducati
Pros - Light, Neutral, Good Feeback, Stock Marchesini Wheels, Sachs monoshock, Brembo 4 pots, Marzocchi usd forks, cheapest to Insure???? $40 a month
Cons - Ducati price tag, Ducati reliabiliy?

Triumph
Pros - Won every comparo for like 6 years, sportiest bike in the bunch, 105hp, fully adjustable suspension in R model, 4 pots, 3 cylinder howl.
Cons - 105hp and asking for a ticket , $60 a month Ins., Not the prettiest bike ever.

Kwaker
Pros- Cheapest, all the moto rags loved them, P-2 engine
Cons- Budget suspension, $55 a month Ins.

I'm really looking for some more good first hand riders here. I know there are a couple ER owners on here, and I know a couple of members have experience on the ST, but I want someone with first hand experience on the Duc. Realistically my brain wants the STR, my heart wants the Monster, and my wallet wants the Kwaker. But I would take any of them.

What does everybody think???
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 01-07-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote