DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
LaFemmes
Queen Bee

Moto: 2003 R6

From Sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=brake+bleeder

www.myspace.com/lafemmes
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record!
LaFemmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemmes View Post
Looks like you built that at home.. lol
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

You shouldn't *have* to bleed your brakes after that, but if you want to you can, it's pretty easy.

Open the top of your brake fluid reservoir, put a short section of hose routed into a catch can on the bleed nipple and get a wrench (should be 10mm). Open the bleed valve on the caliper, pump the brake lever til it gets soft, close the bleed valve, pump til it firms up again, and repeat as many times as necessary. The trick is to keep an eye on the fluid in the reservoir and keep it topped off with new fluid, and watch for clean fluid to come out of the caliper (though the hose into the catch can) and you're golden. Obviously you have to do one line at a time, I usually do the riders right side first, then switch to the left, then go back to the right and make sure no old fluid got back into the caliper. The toughest thing to do is to make sure you keep the reservoir topped off, because if you get an air bubble in the lines you're farked. Oh and use GOOD brake fluid, I like Motul or Bel-ray.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemmes View Post
thx but im not trying to make moonshine, uncle jesse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
You shouldn't *have* to bleed your brakes after that, but if you want to you can, it's pretty easy.

Open the top of your brake fluid reservoir, put a short section of hose routed into a catch can on the bleed nipple and get a wrench (should be 10mm). Open the bleed valve on the caliper, pump the brake lever til it gets soft, close the bleed valve, pump til it firms up again, and repeat as many times as necessary. The trick is to keep an eye on the fluid in the reservoir and keep it topped off with new fluid, and watch for clean fluid to come out of the caliper (though the hose into the catch can) and you're golden. Obviously you have to do one line at a time, I usually do the riders right side first, then switch to the left, then go back to the right and make sure no old fluid got back into the caliper. The toughest thing to do is to make sure you keep the reservoir topped off, because if you get an air bubble in the lines you're farked. Oh and use GOOD brake fluid, I like Motul or Bel-ray.
yea, turns out, i never broke any seals so i didnt have to bleed. just cleaned the calipers, put the new pads in and was fine... just have to get the bike on the road so i can get them set.

dlit You Are The Dumbass
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Bleed em anyway, dood. You're gonna have to learn how sooner or later. Its always a good idea to bleed in the spring due to moisture build up in the system. Do it!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

I will, actually. but as for right now im gonna start getting shit back together...

In the next months im going to be chging plugs, fuel filter, and other stuff, i'll add that to the list.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 AM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post

One point that someone here in Austin couldn't manage... take the diaphram out of the reservoir. Don't extend it and pour fluid into it thinking it is the reservoir. In case you ever wanted to know the definition of Dumbass when talking about brakes. He called me after getting every last drop of fluid out of his lines... just to ask for help because he couldn't figure out why no fluid was coming out. He even openned all the banjo bolts. Wheeeeeeeee

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #19
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Nice!
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #20
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
thx but im not trying to make moonshine, uncle jesse.

yea, turns out, i never broke any seals so i didnt have to bleed. just cleaned the calipers, put the new pads in and was fine... just have to get the bike on the road so i can get them set.

dlit You Are The Dumbass
You still squeezed the brake when the calipers were off. You're a dumbass. Seriously though, when I had to do some wheel and tire swapping, I left a peice of paper on my brake lever that said "don't squeeze the brakes". I pretty much do that every time the wheels will be off for longer than usual or any time I leave the area and the calipers are off.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote