Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I have a question for those that have had bikes longer.

Reading through the Buell owners manual, and my SV's Service manual, they both say you only need to change the filter every other (buell) or every third (SV) oil change.
If you are changing the fluid, why would you not want to change what is keeping that fluid clean??

Personally, until I hear a good reason to NOT change it, I'll change with the oil... a few extra bucks for a filter isn't gonna kill me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #22
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post

Reading through the Buell owners manual, and my SV's Service manual, they both say you only need to change the filter every other (buell) or every third (SV) oil change.
If you are changing the fluid, why would you not want to change what is keeping that fluid clean??

Personally, until I hear a good reason to NOT change it, I'll change with the oil... a few extra bucks for a filter isn't gonna kill me.

I change the filter every time. The small amount of money is WORTH clean oil.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #23
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

I replace my filter every time I change my oil. For a couple reasons, one, when an oil filter becomes clogged and can no longer filter effectively then there is a by-pass valve that allows oil to flow through the filter body without ever going through the filter materiel. Also, a filter holds something close to .5L of oil. In the case of not changing the filter you are leaving up to .5L of dirty oil to mix with your clean oil. Hell, I usually have a little extra oil (about a L) that I pour through the bike to flush out all of the dirty oil. I'm quite anal retentive when it comes to bike maintainence.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #24
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Quote:

Yep ...my owners manual & service manual say the same thing .....but that's just crazy ....I change the filter every time.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #25
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

That's what I was thinking... just makes no sense not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #26
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Good move. Full synth or blend? And...yes, stick to what your manual says.
Believe I went with blend, but to be honest I don't think I knew of a difference at the time of order.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #27
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Believe I went with blend, but to be honest I don't think I knew of a difference at the time of order.
I run the blend as well.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #28
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

You'll get a million different answers to this.

I run mobil 1 full synthetic and K&N oil filters.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #29
Rider
Moto GP Star

I always run OEM filters but this time I am using Repsol 4T Sintetico 10w-40 synthetic blend oil.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #30
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

oh no not again....ok depending on what the cylinders are coated with determines how much material you'll get in the oil. Suzuki ceramic coats the cylinder walls so you get much less material in your oil to be filtered. There have been tests of motors running for tens of thousands of miles before the filter gets clogged enough to bypass. There have also been tests where they've run motors with filters and without,changed the oil at the same intervals,tore the motors down and found no wear difference in them. Infact,a good percentage of the matter that you'll find in the oil and in the filter is FILTER MATERIAL and/or paper particles. Just ask the guys who make steel screen filters. Seriously,put a magnet in your used oil and see what you come up with. Heck,just look at your drain plug.

Btw,on most bikes the filter is mounted side ways and empties when the bike is not running. Don't believe me? Next time you change your oil,let it drain a few minutes and remove your filter. Drain the filter in a graduated cylinder.If you get a .5 liter of oil out of it,I'll drink it! I doubt you'll get more than an ounce or two depending on the engines temp and how long you let it drain.

The reason the owner's manual says that is because they'd done extensive testing and it's true. Why would the company that is carrying your warranty advise you to do something detrimental to your engine? I thought everyone knew that the 3000 mile oil change was a marketing gimmick designed to get people to spend more money on oil changes. I believe the man's name was Eddie Bernays who came up with it but it's been awhile since sales and marketing 101...

Now after saying ALL of that,I personally am too programmed to do any different and change my oil and filter every 2-3000 miles. On a side note,I'm done with Repsol! I find that I get more engine noise and yesterday we were doing "parade laps" around campus so the bikes were hot and my bike wouldn't shift for shit! I'll probably just go back to Suzuki synthetic since it's worked well and only costs 7 or 8 bucks a quart!

Ok boys bring it on,I'm ready....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote