Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Fixed my centerstand

O rather I cut the thing to pieces and welded it so that it actually works with the bike set at its stock height. When I bought the bike it was lowered 2 inches and the PO fitted it with a center stand that was designed for the lowered bike. I raised it back up to stock ride height last year and the center stand didnt work. Plus the design of the way it was supposed to be operated sucked, it had a small nub to push on, and there was no lever to help lift the bike with your foot. Taking a design cue from almost every other center stand I've ever seen in my life I redesigned it so that it actually works with some effort. Although I will admit that it actually took 3 attempts to get the lever fitted right.

Lowered height with centerstand down, notice the little nub sticking off the one side.

Centerstand assembly off the bike ready to be worked on

Finished product, legs slightly bent, elongated, and lever added, basically everything below the bend is almost new

and in the up position

Now I can actually lever the bike up on the center stand without tipping it over on the sidestand first. My only concern is if I need to put stronger springs on it it due to some added weight
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Looks good, but yeah you might want some new springs.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Get your wife to video you going across some little jumps like curb-hopping or something similar and see if it drops down significantly. If not, it should be fine for everyday riding. If it does, better hop-up those springs! Did you reinforce the mounts for the footpegs/centerstand? There are some tutorials on klr650.net I believe. The stock mounts suck anyway and the centerstand makes it worse. I've got one but, never put it on.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote