Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Can someone explain the Penn State Football thingy

I don't follow football other than to know how annoying my school will be that day. Normally on home games I head to Chicago to avoid the retardedness that goes on. I stayed because I thought Penn State got the "Death Penalty" of sports meaning they can't play football. But come Friday I see my local buffetts flooded with Penn State car flags. My school's football team got their asses stomped so all the bars were going nuts with pissed off people who's lives revolve around wether their team wins or loses. Or Penn State fans screaming "We won!" despite they weigh 150lbs or 400lbs with no muscle development (I'm assuming they didn't play in the game).

Anyways why is Penn State able to play football and what punishment did they get in layman's term? I know a $60millino dollar fine but what is this death penalty thing?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

They didnt get the "Death Penalty" in terms of not allowing them to cease football games all together...There hurt more in the sense that they have a 4 year Bowl ban coming down from the NCAA as well as the Big 10 Conference. And they lost recruiting ability with the scandal as well as the fact that many players transferred to different schools without penalty.

See Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_p...otball.2C_2012

So really it's like there just playing football, To play football. Right now for them its all about pride.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

They also lost their record for every win for a pretty long period of time
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
They didnt get the "Death Penalty" in terms of not allowing them to cease football games all together...There hurt more in the sense that they have a 4 year Bowl ban coming down from the NCAA as well as the Big 10 Conference. And they lost recruiting ability with the scandal as well as the fact that many players transferred to different schools without penalty.

See Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_p...otball.2C_2012

So really it's like there just playing football, To play football. Right now for them its all about pride.
Okay thanks. Do they still get to make money off of their stuff? If so then this is probably a good thing for them. Instead of wasting money on scholarships for dumbass jocks who probably realistically have a 6th grade education +/_ a grade or two, they can take that same money and invest in the smart kids and move themselves up in the college rankings. Bowl ban ends, now in top 30, and can overcome my theory that the more important college football is to a national university the dumber the school.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Okay thanks. Do they still get to make money off of their stuff? If so then this is probably a good thing for them. Instead of wasting money on scholarships for dumbass jocks who probably realistically have a 6th grade education +/_ a grade or two, they can take that same money and invest in the smart kids and move themselves up in the college rankings. Bowl ban ends, now in top 30, and can overcome my theory that the more important college football is to a national university the dumber the school.
Actually, the Penn State football program brings in significantly more money than it costs and supports other programs that dont make money. With this punishment theyll have to borrow money from the school to keep things going. Last year the football program brought in $58.9M and the total cost of all athletic scholarships at the school was $12.3M

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ince-2006.html
Quote:
Football Revenue
The Nittany Lions generated $116.1 million in revenue in fiscal 2011 and turned a profit of $14.8 million, according to the school’s NCAA revenue and expenses report. Football accounted for $58.9 million in revenue and $43.8 million in profit, which helped support the school’s money-losing sports. The athletic program will borrow as much as $12 million annually each of the next five years to cover the NCAA fine, and the school will expect football to help pay the debt service.

Joyner said contracts as long as 10 years will keep many sponsors in the fold, giving the school time to repair its reputation. The athletic department earned $55.2 million from royalties, licensing, advertisements and sponsorships in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2011, according to school documents. Sandusky was charged in November.
This is interesting, the 2011 PSU NCAA financial report:
http://www.psu.edu/ur/2012/openness/ncaa.pdf
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Gotcha, makes more sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Actually, the Penn State football program brings in significantly more money than it costs and supports other programs that dont make money.
Why does the football program need to share its profits? If the other programs suck then don't have them. I hate that shit at my school. Our chemistry school has endless patents that make tons of money but because we belong to the college of Liberal Arts and Sciences the money goes to the sociologists or other bullshit degrees. We have a lab with wooden fume hoods. The LAS building that houses philosophy, English, and gender studies has a stair case with marble rails and flooring.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Gotcha, makes more sense now.

Why does the football program need to share its profits? If the other programs suck then don't have them. I hate that shit at my school. Our chemistry school has endless patents that make tons of money but because we belong to the college of Liberal Arts and Sciences the money goes to the sociologists or other bullshit degrees. We have a lab with wooden fume hoods. The LAS building that houses philosophy, English, and gender studies has a stair case with marble rails and flooring.
One of the "bigger" impacts from a historical perspective is those wins (111 of them) were also vacated from Paterno's W/L record. That bumped him from the most wins of any Division I head coach in history to #3 on the list.

Part of why football profits are spent elsewhere is due to regulations. One example is the Federal law Title IX. Part of what it does is require some kind of balance between men's and women's sports programs. Women's college sports tend to lose money.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
They also lost their record for every win for a pretty long period of time
Some dickwad who's at the governing body of the NCCA was upset that Joe Paterno past "his" coach for wins. This was nothing more than a convenient way to put his coach back on top.

Erase 11 years of stats? While I agree that Sandusky should be shot at dawn for his perverse activities, the current sanctions do nothing for past errors and only punish current students.

The NCCA officials are in the same low life scum class as Sandusky with their actions of punishing innocent students.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
The NCCA officials are in the same low life scum class as Sandusky with their actions of punishing innocent students.
Unless the NCAA officials are going back in time and molesting those innocent students when they were even younger and more innocent they aren't even on the same planet as Sandusky. That's a pretty ridiculous statement.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Didn't some of the administrators in addition to paterno actively hide the fact that he had been accused of missing kids for years? I thought that was the reason they lost so much.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote