Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
julie j
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: F650GS & XT250
Default 3 Harleys, 13 days, 9 states, 3700 miles

June 4th - My husband, a close friend and I started our 2 week vacation. We had planned to head to the Badlands but the closer the trip got, the worse the weather was looking. I live in Seattle so I don’t mind riding in a little rain but that does not mean I am signing up for 2 weeks of thunderstorms and flooding. At the last minute we changed to the backup plan and headed south. Hello sunshine!

We started our journey early Saturday morning, taking I-90 out of Seattle, WA. We stuck to the freeways the first two days of our trip. We wanted to get to our first destination of Bryce Canyon, UT as fast as possible. We would start taking the road less traveled after that.
First day was Seattle to Boise, ID. Second day we made it to Provo, UT. The next day, Monday June 6th, we headed toward Bryce Canyon and rode right into the worst wind I have every ridden in my life. Sustained winds of 30-40 with gusts of 50-60. We stopped for gas at one point and I was thankful to have my helmet on. The people trying to gas up their cars were getting sandblasted. My gas light normally comes on at about 100 miles. During this wind I made it 70 before my light came on.
We made it to our hotel just outside Bryce National park around 3:00. By this time I have a sinus cold from hell kicking in. Not what I wanted for vacation. We decided that we would stay the next night at the lodge inside the national park and I am so glad we did. Bryce Canyon is known for stargazing. At the first hotel there were too many city lights to see anything. At the lodge inside the park it was completely dark at night and the stars were incredible.
Bryce Canyon was absolutely spectacular. Since we were staying the night I left my bike at the lodge and two uped with my husband. That way I could take cold medicine to try and beat the bug I had caught. It also allowed me to get some great shots of our buddy.

We arrived at the Grand Canyon on Wednesday, June 8. We rode through part of the park on our way to the hotel in Tusayan. Pictures just do not do the Grand Canyon justice. On Thursday we headed back into the park for more sightseeing.

julie j is offline   Reply With Quote