Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #21
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Funny you should say that. I recently read that probation officers in the USA have an average of 70-80 parolee's each. Im no cop lover, far from it, but common sense tells me you cant know where 80 people are all the time.
it's not about knowing where they are all the time, it's about doing the job they are asked to do. It's about scaring a probie into thinking if he screws up you will catch him and he will go back to jail. Do you notice how many crimes are committed by people on probation? They have no fear of being caught. Did you know one of the rules of probation is home search? Do you know what they really do? They tell you when they are coming and then they sit in your living room and ask if you have anything in the home you shouldn't have.
I had a roomate on prob. his officer came to the house and did just that. being on parole he was not allowed to have guns in his house. just down the hall from where the officer sat were 15 guns. (all mine) had she walked through the house he would have been revoked. Why did he not care? because he had been in the system previously and knew what they do.
When you miss your visit, they call and ask if you're coming. If you miss too many in a row then they will notify police and put out a warrant. (we're talking as much as 3 months late here)
I'm not reading things about how they work, I have actual experience with quite a few people who have been in that system. (on both sides) They do not do the job they are asked to do.
I know quite a few people on paper and not one of them has ever had their home searched even though it is on the list of things that will happen to you while on prob. Why? Because the officer's say it violates the person's privacy. Some will admit they are not comfortable doing it because it's dangerous. When you get too close to finding things that could send someone back to jail they tend to get very aggressive. Ok I get that so give the prob a gun and a back up.
Yes they deal with 70 to 80 people. that's a once a month visit for most of them. a few will be weekly or bi weekly. So let's see once a month for a half hour each well on the high side that's 40 hours of work for 80 people. Doesn't seem too tough to do that does it?
The absolute biggest problem I have seen with probation is talking with one officer. I mentioned a friend of mine and how they acted. The officer thought I was joking and said no one acts like that. Reason for his thoughts were because he had never known anyone to act like that. he was raised in a nice family, in a nice neighborhood and wanted to "make a difference" in life so he went into the field of prob. He had no real life experience with those who operate outside of the law. If you can't believe someone would do something then you wouldn't look for it.
Do I think they're all bad? of course not I know a couple that are complete asses. You know what? people hate being assigned to them, because they are almost guaranteed a trip back to their home away from home. Why because they do the job they are asked and paid to do.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #22
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Its not that the don't have a fear of getting caught, its that violent sex offenders will always be violent sex offenders and no PO is going to change that.

What REALLY would've stopped this from happening is if Garido would've remained in prison until 2006 like he was supposed to instead of being released in 1988.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Its not that the don't have a fear of getting caught, its that violent sex offenders will always be violent sex offenders and no PO is going to change that.

What REALLY would've stopped this from happening is if Garido would've remained in prison until 2006 like he was supposed to instead of being released in 1988.

What!!!! get the hell out of here! a prisoner actually getting punished, that just wouldn't be right. Might make him a violent person from all those years in the pokie you know.

which is my way of saying hell yeah, I couldn't agree more. I think no violent crime should be paroled for any reason. sex offenders should be all but lead around on a leash when they are released after their whole sentence has been served. they should be watched like a two year old. every minute of every day.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
What!!!! get the hell out of here! a prisoner actually getting punished, that just wouldn't be right. Might make him a violent person from all those years in the pokie you know.

which is my way of saying hell yeah, I couldn't agree more. I think no violent crime should be paroled for any reason. sex offenders should be all but lead around on a leash when they are released after their whole sentence has been served. they should be watched like a two year old. every minute of every day.
The problem is sex offenders cannot control themselves most of the time and will go back to what ever their peversion is, and I think it give their potential new victims credibility when they say why was so and so out of prison early. Problem is also that these guys are also entitled to certain rights.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
The problem is sex offenders cannot control themselves most of the time and will go back to what ever their peversion is, and I think it give their potential new victims credibility when they say why was so and so out of prison early. Problem is also that these guys are also entitled to certain rights.

Tom
Which brings us right back around to the point that every law abiding citizen over the age of 21 should be trained and licensed to carry a firearm.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote