pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default UK cops eye shotgun cartridge Taser

US Cops begin drooling

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/24/taser_xrep/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

wonder how they keep that big ol slug from tumbling while in flight.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

How accurate can they be? It's not very aerodynamic and I bet wind would affect it greatly. Also wearing a thick coat could prevent the electrodes from penetrating to the skin. I can't see these being very affective. Use a real bullet instead.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
wonder how they keep that big ol slug from tumbling while in flight.
It has vanes:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/10/d...-shell-emerge/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
How accurate can they be? It's not very aerodynamic and I bet wind would affect it greatly. Also wearing a thick coat could prevent the electrodes from penetrating to the skin. I can't see these being very affective. Use a real bullet instead.
Less effective than a few needles, attached to tiny wires?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I love this part
Quote:
We're also concerned by the fact that these weapons will deliver an excruciatingly painful shock for 20 seconds. Amnesty would be very alarmed if the Home Office were to consider authorising this weapon to police officers in the UK."
Fuck the criminal. they dont wanna cooperate, excruciating nonlethal pain is PERFECTLY ALRIGHT. they deserve that shit.

I like the idea, BUT it needs bigger electrodes. from the look of it, our motorcycle leathers could easily keep that shit from tazing us.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Pain is punishment.

Punishment is decided on by a judge or jury. Not a fat assed retard with a pain gun..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Saw some shit like that on Time Warp or something.... they have fins on them to keep them flying right...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Pain is punishment.

Punishment is decided on by a judge or jury. Not a fat assed retard with a pain gun..
What about some small dicked asshole with a need to steal and hurt other people? They're not talking Judge Dread or anything. Just a predictable, reliable way to knock a bad guy down and get him under control. As long as there is proper training and tracking, it's completely acceptable.

I think it's really cool that this thing gives multiple shots from a standard weapon in a compact package. The technology going into the design is awesome. No more silly Star Trek tazer gizmo with one chance and wires dangling everywhere.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Why not just beat them unconscious with a club? Or burn them with a torch until they give up?

You could hold their head under water until they stop struggling. There are so many ways to possibly be killed, why use a silly taser to potentially kill an innocent until proven guilty man?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Why not just beat them unconscious with a club? Or burn them with a torch until they give up?

You could hold their head under water until they stop struggling. There are so many ways to possibly be killed, why use a silly taser to potentially kill an innocent until proven guilty man?
This version of the technology gives greater range and potential reliability, so it could well be used as a substitute for a firearm. That means a small chance of killing someone with a "less lethal" alternative, rather than filling full of lead.

The Taser has become a tool for generating compliance, rather than subduing a suspect, in no small part because it is of limited usefulness in many situations. Its extremely short range and tethering to the launch mechanism mean that it must be used in situations when physical force may actually be the preferred method for subdual.

This could be used in a situation where the suspect has a weapon, in which it would be ill advised to attempt either a physical take-down or to use a Taser. I can think of several incidents in Toronto over the last few years, in which this sort of thing would have been ideal. There was a guy who was shot for rushing police with a kitchen knife, in a narrow apartment building corridor. This device could well have saved his life.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote