Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #31
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
I don't believe this thread has gone this far without this motherfucker:

Yamaha RZ350. Two stroke. Kenny Roberts Edition.

Fucking sexy.

And yes... there are dudes driving around in weird little cars in the background for god knows why
My buddy and his dad have like 7 of that bike's predecessor, the RD. they've got 250's 350s and a hella wild built ass 400 throwin down something like 100hp or so right now. the son is building a new one that should surpass that even I think.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #32
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I love this thread. I am beginning to think about my next project and am about 90% settled on a 70s style Cafe (hot bikes of my Youth) I am ok with using a later bike as long as it can be made to appear from that era. I am leaning toward using a yamaha 650 upright twin (like most guys my age I love the british iron but can't justify the price or cutting up a classic.) I also have thought about using a wrinkled Hyosung or SV as a base but that limits creativity somewhat. Poular right now is cafing the CB 750 K Hondas. Not to Hijack the thread here but how about some suggestions? Would love to hear from some of you with a few silver highlights in your hair or some of you younger historians what would make a good base for a cafe
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #33
BobTheBiker

I believe that a 1970's CB series, or a more modern(ish) CB like a nighthawk would make a good starting point. I had a 550K that I was going to make a racer out of, but never really got to it.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #34
JK
noodles... dont noodles..

CB Cafe's are awesome. Bulletproof AND cheap! Had a CL 350 waiting to be cafe'd but had to let it go prematurely. I also like the look of the parallel twins over the CB750's I4.

you could get a head start with a new bonneville or 650 yamaha but that might take out some of the fun...

ive even seen cafe'd sportsters that look great.

Last edited by JK; 07-30-2008 at 05:37 PM..
JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #35
BobTheBiker

I'll attest to the CB being a DAMNED DURABLE and bulletproof platform. when I bought mine, it just needed minor cleaning and synch of the carbs after sitting 5 years, fresh fuel, and a little oil change. I revved that thing into 11k on the tach a few times, and it didnt even give me a hint of trouble.

the CB series bikes, IMO, are some of the finest old school machines you can lay hands on because of that. I regret selling mine now.

only complaint was it had a single piston caliper, and could have really benefited from a 2+ piston up on the front, and maybe a 2nd rotor.