Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #51
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I'm curious as to what happens if you miss the clutchless upshift? I mean, what if you don't preload the shifter enough? What if you preload it too much? What if you don't roll off the throttle enough? What if you roll too much? Neutral? Grinding? Upshift two gears? Stay in the same gear?

I'm too settled in my clutch ways not to use it. The nanosecond I lose by using the clutch I'll make up on the next curve. Anyway, I like to upshift at my bike's torque peak. How many riders know their bike's torque peak?
If you miss the shift and/or don't preload the shifter enough, it just won't shift, and you'll hit the revlimiter.

If you preload too much, it may click into the next gear before you mean for it to... and doing clutchless upshifts without rolling off the throttle a hair may be not great for your tranny.

It may not be sensible/necessary for your bike if you're already used to it, and especially if your shift points are far below your redline.

For me and my bike, I clutchless upshift because if I clutched my shifts at the rpm where I do them (literally at the redline) not only would the shifts be slower, but I'd probably be nailing the revlimiter pretty often as I pull the clutch in.

The torque peak of my bike requires you to rip all the way through the meat of the torque curve and past the peak, such that your upshift causes the next gear to land right back in the meat of the torque curve...
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #52
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.... ..u barely move to do it, flick the wrist just barely, tweak the ankle alil... ROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!R OOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #53
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i got the clutchless down shift down this weekend, buttery smooth, even the first time

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #54
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
i got the clutchless down shift down this weekend, buttery smooth, even the first time
Hey didn't I tell you that you aren't shift authorized ?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #55
Vettezilla (Impala Balko)
FUCK IT. WE'LL DO IT LIVE

Moto: 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 blue/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea,he's got an older 750...I think the new GSXR750 will power up in 2nd. My bike will power up in third if you're doing over 100 mph to start with.
I can get it to power up a little in 2nd If i really work the suspension it should come up but I would rather clutch it. Its more predictable and easier to control
Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #56
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezilla (Impala Balko) View Post
I can get it to power up a little in 2nd If i really work the suspension it should come up but I would rather clutch it. Its more predictable and easier to control

you know what? you ought to be ashamed! that girl can 12 o'clock your bike wearing nothing but a bikini,you shouldn't have any trouble at all!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #57
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Well I did a bunch of clutchless shifts today. Upshifts, downshifts, accelerating, decelerating, high rpm and low rpm. it just snicks right into gear. But I had to think about preloading the lever. When I use the clutch it seems automatic without thinking. I'll probably shift again without the clutch, but 99.99 percent of the time I'll use the clutch.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #58
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Well I did a bunch of clutchless shifts today. Upshifts, downshifts, accelerating, decelerating, high rpm and low rpm. it just snicks right into gear. But I had to think about preloading the lever. When I use the clutch it seems automatic without thinking. I'll probably shift again without the clutch, but 99.99 percent of the time I'll use the clutch.
Man all the old dogs are learning new tricks!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #59
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Man all the old dogs are learning new tricks!
shit, now he's going to be even more faster than us. Wow that was terrible grammar, but i didn't know how to work it.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote