Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell > Cage Tech

Old 03-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #31
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The G6 with the big engine yanks the wheel even when simply trying to pass on the highway. The result of inferior geometry of the driveaxles & tie rods.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #32
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The G6 with the big engine yanks the wheel even when simply trying to pass on the highway. The result of inferior geometry of the driveaxles & tie rods.
That does not make any sense. The torque is a function of the force on the half shaft. And the torque steer occurs because only the lesser force of the two shafts results in the wheel that spins.

Most Japanese makes if you notice you have to rev the engine in order for the vehicle to move. This is a function of either a higher torque converter stall speed or a less efficient torque converter.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

How does it not make any sense? Torque steer is not caused by the torque converter...... You can have torque steer even with a manual transmission.

I'm no engineer, but from what I've read, torque steer needs to be engineered out by making good decisions with the length of the 2 driveaxles (equal vs. unequal), as well as the mounting location of the steering rack & associated hardware.

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-12-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #34
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

And LSD transmissions....

I know I have one in my HHR SS. It will torque steer like a mad man... then the LSD kicks in and puts it back in line. But it makes it a handfull in gears 1-3. Pulls left hard, you compensate and it jerks right as it moves power to the other wheel.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #35
Racerboy
The Other White Meat

Moto: 1997 Cadillac Seville SLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Depends on yer preference
That car is bad ass...My grandfather workd for Oldsmobile and had the #9 Toronado car off the assembly line in 1966 when they came out. I wanted them to give that to me so badly when I was could drive. I took my driving test and then went to the prom when they still had it.

Someday I will get another one.

www.CheckeredFlagOils.com
954-975-BIKE (2453)
623-850-1OIL (1645)
Racerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #36
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
How does it not make any sense? Torque steer is not caused by the torque converter...... You can have torque steer even with a manual transmission.

I'm no engineer, but from what I've read, torque steer needs to be engineered out by making good decisions with the length of the 2 driveaxles (equal vs. unequal), as well as the mounting location of the steering rack & associated hardware.
You were talking about torque steer....then changing the subject to GM thottle response, which I said is more a function of the torque converter. Never said anything about the torque converter and torque steer. Reading comprehension. .

But...if the torque converter stall is low like in GM makes I would believe that the torque steer would be more prevalent off the line vs a Jap car which would move the vehicle slower. But of course the half shaft lengths and trans to CV joint angle makes the difference.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 03-12-2011 at 10:33 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #37
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I say most of those models are history. Look to the future slice!

Al is correct...many of those are on the same chassis.

I'm surprised about the Impala...

Word. I own one, and its been completely reliable, never a bit of maintenance aside from regular stuff (brakes, rotors, and one ball joint). My dad owned one which had 300k KM when he sold it and bought his truck, and it too was completely reliable, and only needed a little bit of work near the very end of its life. My mom is buying mine from me (taking over the payments, I was planning on keeping it after getting the truck because its so good on gas, but she wanted it.). My granfather also has one, has never had a problem with it. My uncle has an 08 Impala SS, and its been perfect so far, and he drives a shit ton.

I just dont see how anyone can say that the Impala is unreliable. They are a HUGE seller here in Canada, and I have never heard anything but good about them. As a matter of fact, the reason they sell so well up here is because they have a reputation for being a great, reliable car. Me thinks this list is shit.

That said, they are horribly boring cars, for sure.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.

Last edited by Apoc; 05-10-2011 at 01:12 PM..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #38
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Word. I own one, and its been completely reliable, never a bit of maintenance aside from regular stuff (brakes, rotors, and one ball joint). My dad owned one which had 300k KM when he sold it and bought his truck, and it too was completely reliable, and only needed a little bit of work near the very end of its life. My mom is buying mine from me (taking over the payments, I was planning on keeping it after getting the truck because its so good on gas, but she wanted it.). My granfather also has one, has never had a problem with it. My uncle has an 08 Impala SS, and its been perfect so far, and he drives a shit ton.

I just dont see how anyone can say that the Impala is unreliable. They are a HUGE seller here in Canada, and I have never heard anything but good about them. As a matter of fact, the reason they sell so well up here is because they have a reputation for being a great, reliable car. Me thinks this list is shit.

That said, they are horribly boring cars, for sure.
See a lot of impalas as taxis and cop cars too so they have to have some sort of solid reliability to take the punishment in those fields.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #39
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
See a lot of impalas as taxis and cop cars too so they have to have some sort of solid reliability to take the punishment in those fields.
Not really, nyc has been bitching that their cop impalas are crap. The taxi commission buys taxis in bulk by contract, I think they only bought for a year or two and switched to something else
Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #40
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Not really, nyc has been bitching that their cop impalas are crap. The taxi commission buys taxis in bulk by contract, I think they only bought for a year or two and switched to something else
Still see alot of them out here in nassau, but the countys so screwed up right now they prolly cant afford newer cars, I dont think they even have the chargers yet.

NYPD has a bunch of different cars now, I think they even have soem toyotas
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote