Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...
Default Our sailors were blue, but now they're kind of a bright yellow-orange...

From the BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA files...

Standard-issue Navy uniforms are highly flammable, report shows

Published January 10, 2013

FoxNews.com

The U.S. Navy’s standard-issue blue camouflage uniforms are highly flammable, according to a recent Navy test, and will melt onto the skin when burning. But that’s not news to Navy brass.

The Virginian-Pilot reports that Navy officials released findings of a test in December indicating that its working uniforms are not designated flame-resistant and will burn “robustly until completely consumed” when subjected to flame – unlike the Army and the Marine Corps.

"We knew when we designed this uniform that it wasn't flame-resistant," said Rear Adm. John Kirby, the Navy's top spokesman. "When we were making the uniform, sailors wanted a uniform that was comfortable, that didn't require maintenance and would stand up under a lot of washing, and one of the ways to get that is a nylon-cotton blend.”

Kirby said there was no requirement for a fire-resistant uniform in a working environment.

The Type I NWU -- as the uniform is known -- is half cotton and half nylon. The nylon component "is a thermoplastic fiber that melts and drips as it burns," according to the report.

"If this sticky molten material came in contact with skin, it would contribute to increased burn injury,” the report continues.

The uniform was never meant to be flame-retardant and there is fire gear throughout any ship in case sailors are exposed to flames. Only sailors with specific jobs such as airman, engineer or firefighter and those in combat are required to have fire-resistant clothing, Navy admirals said.

Vice Adm. Scott Van Buskirk, Chief of Naval Personnel and president of the Navy's Uniform Board, announced in a message to commanders last month that working groups have been established to review the fleet's uniform needs and to consider whether these uniforms do the job

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/10...#ixzz2HaBtdk3g

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

On another note, I still can't stand the AF's camos. Who came up with that design? They look like pajamas. What were they thinking, that AF personnel would be attacked at airfields and could effectively camoflauge themselves by standing near gray airplanes? Give me a break. Just save some money and give them the same camos the Army uses.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Most clothing will do this unless you have FR clothing that requires very strict cleaning to maintain it's FR rating. FR clothing is more expensive and unless there is a need for it, I don't see the point in this story.

Knowing the Government, they would probably fuck up the cleaning part and the FR rating would be decreased significantly from improper cleaning anyway.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Most clothing will do this unless you have FR clothing that requires very strict cleaning to maintain it's FR rating. FR clothing is more expensive and unless there is a need for it, I don't see the point in this story.
Lulz, my friend. Lulz.

Yeah, it's pretty much a non-story. I just thought the image of a sailor in blue camouflage trying to hide on a gray ship then catching fire in a bright orange flame was too hilarious not to share. He won't even blend in with the water, then...

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Lulz, my friend. Lulz.

Yeah, it's pretty much a non-story. I just thought the image of a sailor in blue camouflage trying to hide on a gray ship then catching fire in a bright orange flame was too hilarious not to share. He won't even blend in with the water, then...
Besides aircraft carriers, is there really even a need to come out of the ship except when needing to get off it? They should have bright clothing so they can be seen if they need rescue, LOL. They don't need to camo into shit.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The only situation where I could see them needing it is if they're being boarded, and exchanging small-arms fire while hiding beind turrets & shit, lol
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

On the other hand, the denim dungarees ARE flame-retardant. One of the guys in my unit was sitting on the front of my desk talking with some of the other guys and I put a lighter up to the butt of his blues and it took forever for it to do anything! It turned a greenish color then started to flicker a bit and just as it started to finally catch, he made an amazing sudden leap across the room! No idea why!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
On the other hand, the denim dungarees ARE flame-retardant. One of the guys in my unit was sitting on the front of my desk talking with some of the other guys and I put a lighter up to the butt of his blues and it took forever for it to do anything! It turned a greenish color then started to flicker a bit and just as it started to finally catch, he made an amazing sudden leap across the room! No idea why!
They are very low rated, not really good for much of any kind of flash. They are a shit load better than nylon though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

That's why they're flame-retardant and not fire-proof!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
That's why they're flame-retardant and not fire-proof!
Dude, there are several levels of FR. I am not talking about fireproof as that isnt something we classify. I unfortunately know way too much about this shit because its a huge part of my job as electrical worker. Denim by itself is a very poor material. It needs to be chemically treated to be an effective piece of FR for safety wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!