Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.
Default Thoughts on a bike for a first time rider?

No, this isn't for me. Unfortunately. My daughter's boyfriend is looking to buy a bike, used, and I told him I would ask you guys for your thoughts. He is NOT one of those stupid kids who wants to buy a Busa or anything like it for his first bike, thank God!

By the way, he's about 6'2" so he'll need something comfy for someone taller. He's been doing a lot of looking on craigslist and my concern is that he doesn't know what to look for in a used bike to try and be certain that he's getting a good deal. I know a lot of people say that its a waste to get a 250, even for a first bike, because their opinion is it will be outgrown quickly, but he's not interested in being a speed demon, he just wants something to have fun on and to commute on. He's thankfully very mature for a 25 year old. Maybe 'cause he's an EMT and knows that bikes can be dangerous in the hands of stupid people, and because of stupid people in cars.

So, all tips and suggestions are welcome! He said so far he likes the look of naked bikes (I mentioned looking for an SV 650, I know a couple tallish guys who ride them) and he also saw a Buell Blast he likes the looks of. I have no idea what to tell him to look for though, in terms of having a clue if a bike has been dropped or otherwise damaged.

Thanks in advance!
2up is offline   Reply With Quote