Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Dual sport question

I searched around and didn't see much info on the dual sports.

My buddy is looking into getting a dual sport and selling his KTM 250 (thumper trail bike). He doesn't ride as much trails anymore but still rides (his daughters have 2 ATVs). He's looking for a bike that he said would be 75% street (work and some mountain twisties) and 25% off road (ATV trails and such). So he'd like one that can hit around 70mph or so.

He's considering the DRZ400 but wonders how different a 650 (KLR/XR) would be from the 400. Is the KLR650 too bulky for somewhat aggresive trail riding?

Any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Almost could go the DRZ400SM, you can do forrest roads with the right tires and still tear up the asphalt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

I thought the SM also but he rides more aggresive off road than just forrest roads. Does some single track but not much into jumping a dirt bike.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I thought the SM also but he rides more aggresive off road than just forrest roads. Does some single track but not much into jumping a dirt bike.
I have a 400, its either fun off road or fun on road. You sacrifice one for the other, unless he wants to change out sprockets and wheels every time he rides something different. You are going to have trouble finding something good for single track and tearing up the twisties.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I have a 400, its either fun off road or fun on road. You sacrifice one for the other, unless he wants to change out sprockets and wheels every time he rides something different. You are going to have trouble finding something good for single track and tearing up the twisties.
Gotcha. Now you have the SM right? How different is the SM from the normal dual? Is the gearing different?

How does it do at 60+ mph? Are you pigging off the rev limiter? Does it feel unstable at higher speeds? I think those are his main concerns, especially if he gets the knobby tired dual.

I think he'd like the SM better (or a FZ6/1) but his daughters ride ATVs and he needs something to go on trails so he can ride with them.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Gotcha. Now you have the SM right? How different is the SM from the normal dual? Is the gearing different?

How does it do at 60+ mph? Are you pigging off the rev limiter? Does it feel unstable at higher speeds? I think those are his main concerns, especially if he gets the knobby tired dual.

I think he'd like the SM better (or a FZ6/1) but his daughters ride ATVs and he needs something to go on trails so he can ride with them.
No, I have a DRZ400E. It down right sucks over 60. I have it setup more for trails and forrest service roads though. It's not a fun on road bike.
Quote:
Old 09-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
It's like Trip says, it's a trade off.

The DRZ400E, is great for trails, but sucks on the freeway.

KLR's suck on both.

An XR or a DR650, properly kitted, will do a reasonable job on and off road. Heavy, yes, but lots of torque.

I've had XR's, and DR's, but finally settled on a KTM LC4 640. 14 inches of ground clearance, 300 lbs. dry, White Power suspension front and rear, and a kick-ass motor. It's OK on the freeway, and there isn't any trail that isn't two-stroke only, I wouldn't take it on.

JC
Old 09-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I've had XR's, and DR's, but finally settled on a KTM LC4 640. 14 inches of ground clearance, 300 lbs. dry, White Power suspension front and rear, and a kick-ass motor. It's OK on the freeway, and there isn't any trail that isn't two-stroke only, I wouldn't take it on.

JC
Yeah, I don't know too much about all the different katooms, but if there was on bike that could do both decent to well, it would definitely have to be a KTM.
Quote:
Old 09-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Weestrom (650) or KLR650 are both supposed to be great- depending on how aggressive he's getting in the dirt. In favor of backroads, at least for the stuff I know of around here, the KLR would be my choice over something smaller. That thing was a lot of fun and didn't feel overworked on the street like a smaller engine does. Plus, maintenance is much farther apart. 15,000 for a valve check I think.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Weestrom (650) or KLR650 are both supposed to be great- depending on how aggressive he's getting in the dirt. In favor of backroads, at least for the stuff I know of around here, the KLR would be my choice over something smaller. That thing was a lot of fun and didn't feel overworked on the street like a smaller engine does. Plus, maintenance is much farther apart. 15,000 for a valve check I think.
Single track/ATV trails would not be fun with something that big and clumsy. No way a wee strom could come even close to doing stuff we have around here as far as trails. The KLR would be pushing it on ATV trails. It would be a ton of work and just not make you want to ride it on those type of trails. They are usually rutted out and in extremely bad condition, so it would be aggressive.
Quote: