Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default What do you think?

So I have a friend that wants to buy my bike soon. And I'm not sure I want to spend alot of money, even at all, if I know I will be moving to LA in the spring. But I happened to stumble along this bike on Ohioriders, and I'm kinda intrigued. What do yall think. You guys seem to have a good judgment on bikes...

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=64047
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Do you really think this clown didn't lowside the bike himself? Of course "his GF" lowsided it. lol whatever. Look at the guys public info...SQUID!

You moving to Los Angeles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIMP.jpg (190.3 KB, 4 views)

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Price is about right, except you don't know miles. If it is a low miles item (under 10K), you may get many fun-filled miles for a low price...if it's got 25-30K on it, it's most likely led a long, hard life and you'll no doubt be dropping some bread into it you'll never get back out.

The thing about salvage bikes is that you don't REALLY know what you are getting. The flat black frame means that the frame was scratched up, but tossing it into a sandy shoulder will do that...no REAL harm done. OR..it might mean that it smacked the frame rails on a rock during it's end-over-end tumble at 90+... and the owner thought a little flat black should hide that Bondo real nice......

By the same token, a LOT of guys buy bikes just like this, strap on some track plastics and spend MANY hours @100mph plus on the track and have no problems whatsoever.

I have started doing deals like this because we have a lot of racers looking for a track 'ho. I just look at the bike a lot more thoroughly than I would with a regular title.

A. Put the bike up on stands and check it out front to back (Don't have stands? Used ones go for $75 a set on CL...no reason NOT to have some and take them WITH you when you go to look at it). Look for visibly misaligned wheels/forks/swingarm (you wouldn't believe how many bikes come in to our shop that have been smacked so hard you can SEE that the steering head has tweeked the whole thing out-of-line).

B. While its on the stands...spin the wheels... look for dents and out-of-round wheels....many dropped bikes take curb hits on the wheels, either denting the mounting area where the bead is supposed to grip, cracking a spoke(s) or throwing the whole wheel out-of-true.

C. While spinning the rear wheel, check the chain for tight spots and overall condition; I believe that chain and sprocket condition is one of the BEST visual indicators of overall machine condition and "head" condition of the operator/owner. Usually, a clean, well lubed, well adjusted chain indicates that at least a modicum of care has been given the bike, and that the owner has a little bit of common sense.

You simply would not BELIEVE the number of bikes that come in to our shop with "running" issues; like grinding noises, shifting issues, rough running, strange noises,; ALL due to COMPLETE lack of attention to the chain. We had a very expensive custom 'Busa in a week or so ago that had nearly sawed through the swingarm because the chain had stretched so bad, worn THROUGH the rub block and the only reason the guy brought it in because it was making "graunching" noises during downshifts......

We had an F4i in this week that had so much sideplay in the chain that it had torn chunks out of the rear tire sidewall.....

One more and I'll stop: I had a young man bring in a three year old R6 and he wanted me to order him a clutch pack (about $300) because his was slipping and making "grinding" noises. Never heard that one before, so I walked outside with him so he could show me....

....one look and I knew it wasn't a clutch issue, the rear sprocket looked like a washer with bumps....that's how worn out it was.

I could go on and on.......

Anywhooo....

D. The other thing I would check, if it has more that 5-6K on it, is take it to a decent shop in the area and have them check compression; it'll cost you about $75 and will be THE best indicator of engine service life that you can get...a variance of more than 10% between cylinders means that you are going to have tuning issues, and that something is wearing faster than it should or that damage has already occurred.

To wind it up, a "salvage" titled bike isn't necessarily a bad deal; you just need to be extremely careful about checking it out and need to understand that they will NEVER be worth more than about 75% of rough or wholesale book....NEVER.

Which puts the "value" (whatever THAT means) of that bike at about $1800-2000 bucks:

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-...a-zx_6rr/72286

JMHO

Good Luck!

Last edited by OTB; 08-26-2010 at 07:49 AM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

3 grand is blade money around here, or a real nice f3 with a bunch of extras. Keep looking
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
gavilan
Street Stunter

I just recently sold my 2003 ZX-6R, salvage title, for $2000 and I thought it was a pretty good deal. Granted, it had tons of miles (I think around 40K), but it was in good condition, always took good care of it and I was the one who re-built it so I know it was in ok shape.

Dang. I miss my bike. lol
gavilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
You moving to Los Angeles?
Yes, barring a job. I'm applying at the Big 4 for their training programs as we speak. Starting to look for towns/apartments to live too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Price is about right, except you don't know miles. If it is a low miles item (under 10K), you may get many fun-filled miles for a low price...if it's got 25-30K on it, it's most likely led a long, hard life and you'll no doubt be dropping some bread into it you'll never get back out.

To wind it up, a "salvage" titled bike isn't necessarily a bad deal; you just need to be extremely careful about checking it out and need to understand that they will NEVER be worth more than about 75% of rough or wholesale book....NEVER.

Which puts the "value" (whatever THAT means) of that bike at about $1800-2000 bucks:

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-...a-zx_6rr/72286

JMHO

Good Luck!
I could listen to you talk about bikes all day. I have so much to learn. As much as I want the thing, I might hold off. I can't buy on impulse. Miles are about 15,5xx...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
3 grand is blade money around here, or a real nice f3 with a bunch of extras. Keep looking
What year blades are we talking? As far as F3... I'm done with carbs. I hate dealing with all the bullshit.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Talk to some of the other guys on there... They may have ridden with the guy and could tell you about him and his machine. I've ridden with some of the guys on there, but can't remember if this guy was one of them... Find Eaglerider or whatever his name is on there... he does a lot of rides with people on there and may have ridden with this guy... He's a straight up dude and keeps his shit nice. He used to ride a DRZ-SM... tell him OSP, the dude that wadded up his Buell while following him on rt-56 says hello and tell him to come over here...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote