Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Nice. I can't wait to see your work in progress and the finished product.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

ok first night in my garage and the ignition is defeated (mr dremel made short work out of that one.) it now operates with easy any key or screwdriver action. also pulled the rear fairing down far enough to defeat the cable that releases the seat, allowing me to hook my jump box to the battery and test all lights and circuits (passed) checked oil level and found it to be adequate as well as to be newer clear oil...good sign. flipped the safety switch off and thumbed the starter, turns over easy and the oil pressure lamp goes out. good shit. pulled the plugs and held them to the frame with the starter pressed and found good spark front and back. replaced the plugs and said fuck it. went for a start at full choke. not even a cough, not really surprised since it was last reg'ed in 02'. gotta pull and clean the carbs and put some good gas in her and im sure she'll fire right up.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #13
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
ok first night in my garage and the ignition is defeated (mr dremel made short work out of that one.) it now operates with easy any key or screwdriver action. also pulled the rear fairing down far enough to defeat the cable that releases the seat, allowing me to hook my jump box to the battery and test all lights and circuits (passed) checked oil level and found it to be adequate as well as to be newer clear oil...good sign. flipped the safety switch off and thumbed the starter, turns over easy and the oil pressure lamp goes out. good shit. pulled the plugs and held them to the frame with the starter pressed and found good spark front and back. replaced the plugs and said fuck it. went for a start at full choke. not even a cough, not really surprised since it was last reg'ed in 02'. gotta pull and clean the carbs and put some good gas in her and im sure she'll fire right up.
cool
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Keep us posted on this one.
I love the old Hawks.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

washed the gunk off of her and pulled the tank and airbox tonight. couldnt verify the operation of the fuel pump but im not too sure about the conditions required for one to fire up on the old carbed bikes. hell, when i had the cane' i didnt even realise it had one. at that point i was about ready to quit for the night but between the jersey redneck in me and the booze i decided to try and get it running by pouring a delicate mix of ten parts regular unleaded one part miller lite directly down the carb throat. and after countless backfires, and about 7 carb fires (blew em out), i got it to run for about two seconds. sounded great! then my beer bottle ran out of gas and she let off a backfire that probably had all the vatos across the street strapping up so i called it a night
TWF Post whore #6
Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Epic thread bump. Just got an f2 tank off ebay for pretty cheap and have a title'd frame I can move everything to. I did get it running with video I need to post but discovered that the front header has an inch hole in it and is cracked all the way round. Now I gotta dig up money for a full system
Old 08-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
gavilan
Street Stunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
washed the gunk off of her and pulled the tank and airbox tonight. couldnt verify the operation of the fuel pump but im not too sure about the conditions required for one to fire up on the old carbed bikes. hell, when i had the cane' i didnt even realise it had one. at that point i was about ready to quit for the night but between the jersey redneck in me and the booze i decided to try and get it running by pouring a delicate mix of ten parts regular unleaded one part miller lite directly down the carb throat. and after countless backfires, and about 7 carb fires (blew em out), i got it to run for about two seconds. sounded great! then my beer bottle ran out of gas and she let off a backfire that probably had all the vatos across the street strapping up so i called it a night
hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Epic thread bump. Just got an f2 tank off ebay for pretty cheap and have a title'd frame I can move everything to. I did get it running with video I need to post but discovered that the front header has an inch hole in it and is cracked all the way round. Now I gotta dig up money for a full system
yowza. good luck. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
gavilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #18
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavilan View Post
hilarious

yowza. good luck. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
You aren't the only one, torylynne has already claimed ownership guess I gotta find another track bike
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

My first foray into roadracing was at the hands of Honda Hawks. One was supersport andlightly prepped, the other full on superbike with 700 cc kit and F3 front end. Wonder how many racers busted ther cherries with these.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #20
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
My first foray into roadracing was at the hands of Honda Hawks. One was supersport andlightly prepped, the other full on superbike with 700 cc kit and F3 front end. Wonder how many racers busted ther cherries with these.
How's the handling with f bike forks? Any suggestions on oem shock swaps?