Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #51
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
My opinion, it would just make for more people riding illegaly.

I agree it should be done... but how to enforce it?
it'd be like insurance... you'd still have those riding with out it... but it would force most to comply.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #52
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

It would be hard to force people to do this now. We haven't had one forever. There would have to be soooo many people under the grandfather clause, it wouldn't be right to enforce it. It'd be tough to implement a tieredlicense law in the states. Although, I agree that we should have one.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #53
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

i think i have to disagree with the fast cars wont prepare you for bikes argument a bit here. while its true that the car has a far greater contact patch than the bike, the car also weighs about 7-9 times as much as your average SS bike. also, the camber angle on a cars tires is fixed which means that depending on the setup you are either comprimising your ability to accelerate and brake or the ability to corner. not so on a bike, bike tires are rounded and ought to have the same amount of contact straight up as it would leaned over. another point is that in driving a fast car in corners one has to be very aware of weight shift, let off the throttle mid corner in an FF or RR car and see what happens to you! shits just as important on a bike. and my last little bit here is on concentration, as one who has operated many many different types of vehicles i find the level nessesary to safely operate my bike about the same as what i use in one of my fast cars, or a plane, or when i was driving tanks.

btw, im basing this rant on my Shelby Daytona, and NSX. both of which are manuals and feature no traction control, abs, or any other form of driver assistance whatsoever as i believe that the driver should be what makes a car fast, not some computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maygin View Post
My friend who was teaching me the basics (shifting, placement of stuff, etc) was showing me on his bike, a CBR 1000. I wasn't going to ride it at all, but he wanted me to pull it up off the kick stand and OMG I damn near died.

I am WAY too small for a 1000. My ex's 600 wasn't as bad, but still not great. So, this lil girl is definitely sticking to a little 250 or 500 at the most for now.

Man, I wish the 70 was street legal

God, I'm such a pussy.
M&M, how tall are you? im assuming this was a newer cbr1000 and not one from the late 80s or 90s? modern litres really arent that much bigger than 600s
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #54
Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Moto: 2003 honda CBR 954/ 2011 Road King classic

Good read maybe I should print it out for the guys at work
Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #55
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
Good read maybe I should print it out for the guys at work
It'll take thousands of sheets of paper to print it out.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #56
Mistress Maygin
Megatron

Moto: Nothing yet, but hoping for something soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

M&M, how tall are you? im assuming this was a newer cbr1000 and not one from the late 80s or 90s? modern litres really arent that much bigger than 600s
I believe an '05. And I'm 5'4. It wasn't the height so much as the width of it. I have to spread my legs further to fit around the bike, so there is less leg left to hang over onto the ground.
So lovely, it feels so right

I want to hold you close
Soft breath, beating heart
As I whisper in your ear
I want to fucking tear you apart
Mistress Maygin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #57
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

if you need help splittin your legs i'd be glad to stretch em out for ya. with sex.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #58
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
if you need help splittin your legs i'd be glad to stretch em out for ya. with sex.
real talk.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #59
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
i think i have to disagree with the fast cars wont prepare you for bikes argument a bit here.
The fast car & fast bike discussion has more to do with performance and reaction. Honestly, can you say it doesn't take more skill to drive a Corvette ZO6 then a Chevy Cobalt? Maybe not in a straight line at 20 mph. But what about as speed comes into play. What about taking corners? What about a wet road?

As a new driver or rider you are not going to have those skills necessary to handle unexpected situations.

A new driver isn't going to know what to do when they floor it on a wet surface and the ass end of the car starts sliding. A new driver with 500hp under his butt isn't going to know how long it takes to slow down from 80mph to 0mph in a panic situation.

There are more oppertunities for error with a 16 or 17 year old getting a performance car or motorcycle. Just look at the 17 or 18 year old that was killed along with a few friends out hot rodding in his dad's M5 down in Ocala last month. Maturity level and skill level comes into play, with any kind of performance vehicle or motorcycle.

Quote:
not so on a bike, bike tires are rounded and ought to have the same amount of contact straight up as it would leaned over.
Ummm, have you ever taken an MSF class? Have you ever done any reading on Motorcycle basics or physics? If not, I encourage you to do both asap. When cornering on a motorcycle traction is reduced. Depending on the amount of lean angle, you have a smaller contact patch on the road. Have you ever watched any motorcycle racing? When they are leaned over in a corner, they are using maybe a fraction of the tires contact patch.

In a car, you have more contact path because the tires are turned. You don't turn on a motorcycle. You countersteer. A motorcycle turns nothing like a car.

Please do some research before you start giving people the wrong information.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #60
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maygin View Post
My friend who was teaching me the basics (shifting, placement of stuff, etc) was showing me on his bike, a CBR 1000. I wasn't going to ride it at all, but he wanted me to pull it up off the kick stand and OMG I damn near died.

I am WAY too small for a 1000...
Not true. I have an older (1990) CBR1000 and the seat height is at least 2 inches shorter than the 1000RR, and the seat padding is five times thicker. And even though it's 200 pounds heavier than an R6, it's a zillion times easier to ride on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
The Final Equation

Consider the fact that this year a privateer (independent racer) bought a Yamaha YZF-R1 off the showroom floor, took off the lights and mirrors, added a race belly pan, exhaust and tires and placed in the top ten at the AMA Superbike race at Daytona. The bike was two weeks off the floor and basically stock (the modifications with the exception of the pipe are required). Since factory sponsored teams tend to take the top slots, any privateer that can break in the top ten is doing well by anyone's definition.
But the R1 is a race bike and should place well by a good rider. I'd like to see them take an R1 and make a great sport/tourer (not an FZ1).

Did anyone see the November, 2006 issue of Motorcyclist magazine? They took a mid-80's Kawasaki KZ550 LTD Cruiser and placed eighth in Middleweight Superbike. They paid $400 for the bike and $450 in parts from other old bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Sportbike technology has gone an amazing distance in twenty years. Performance and ability has almost doubled in that time. But rider ability has not and a new rider from 20 years ago would still have the same challenges then as a new rider would today on an R6.
Things don't change much. I remember thirty-six years ago when new riders thought they could learn on and ride Kawasaki 500 or 750 triples. Very unforgiving bikes for newies or experienced riders. Wheelies aren't something new. Me? I was on my friend's H1 once. Then I went back to my Hodaka Ace.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote