Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Just looking at crosstalk on FB with folks that know him. Some of my brothers friends do part time work with the rutgers football team, and thats all I've seen on facebook since yesterday.

Most of the talk surrounds his scholarship elegibility (needs to be able to be maintained on the roster) because he wont be able to play and that he was expecting to play in the minors after he graduated
I think if they pulled his scholarship the media would destroy them, its not like he tore his acl or anything like that. this story has gotten a lot of press so now the school almost has to step up and make sure hes taken care of.

What minor leagues are they talking about. The CFL, That new UFL or a semi pro team?
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Damn I hate seeing that. I hope he recovers.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I think if they pulled his scholarship the media would destroy them, its not like he tore his acl or anything like that. this story has gotten a lot of press so now the school almost has to step up and make sure hes taken care of.

What minor leagues are they talking about. The CFL, That new UFL or a semi pro team?
I saw something about having to maintain a higher gpa than he would have needed to maintain to keep the scholarship if he was active on the team, people were asking what his gpa was so I dont know. Same thing with the minor leauge football, somebody mentioned that he had talked about it a while back, no more info.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

As sad as these types of injuries are, I am always fascinated that no one ever calls for the abolishment of football from school activities...yet when a kid gets hurt or killed racing a motorcycle (as happened twice this past year with two higher profile deaths that I am aware of), the outcry to eliminate youths from racing is huge, and nearly universal.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
As sad as these types of injuries are, I am always fascinated that no one ever calls for the abolishment of football from school activities...yet when a kid gets hurt or killed racing a motorcycle (as happened twice this past year with two higher profile deaths that I am aware of), the outcry to eliminate youths from racing is huge, and nearly universal.
But, but... Motorcycles are EVIL!

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Its too popular
Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #17
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Interesting point (and thats comming from someone who played football for many years)

Some of the factors adding to this now are these kids are just bigger stronger and faster than what they were 10 or 20 yrs ago. Another problem is theyr not taught proper tackling anymore. Its even worse in th epros now guys try for the lights out highlight film hit instead of trying to tackle someone. I think at the college level football brings in too much money for the schools to consider giving it up.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

I think the end of Football is inevitable, at least in its current form anyway. As more and more stories of concussions keep flowing out, and how bad they are long-term, etc. etc. there is going to be more liability for public schools to continue running football programs. Which would spell doom for the NFL eventually IMO.

MMA will probably go first though, unless they find a way to eliminate post-ko punches...
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #19
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I think the end of Football is inevitable, at least in its current form anyway. As more and more stories of concussions keep flowing out, and how bad they are long-term, etc. etc. there is going to be more liability for public schools to continue running football programs. Which would spell doom for the NFL eventually IMO.

MMA will probably go first though, unless they find a way to eliminate post-ko punches...
I think youre seeing more and more guys having long lasting effects from multiple concussions. One of the patriots linebackers who recently retired is already having problems. there was a good documentary on some of these guys bu tmore so how the NFL turned its back on these guys. I dont see football going away any time soon and now the league is ready to start suspending guys for some of these hits.

You think there a lot of outcry to end MMA again? I know Mcain and a few others kinda forced it underground a few years back but now it seems like the UFC is growing by leaps and bounds.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #20
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Man that is shitty
My guess is that tommy is correct and the media flap that is following this will ensure he has a full ride