We can agree on that
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:17 AM   #24
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I don't want an old POS truck or a POS Honda/Toyota (same car IMO)

In reality I'll probably do 2 track days a year tops so towing really isn't a priority for me. Just something it needs to do every once in awhile. Kinda like the wife and laundry. BTW. The BMW I'm looking at is not a truck/suv. It's a 4 door sedan.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. ANY Ford Ranger will haul your Italian scoot with absolutely no problems, and the 2-wheel drive models have less ground clearance (and are less expensive) than the 4x4 versions, so getting the bike in the bed is much easier and negates the need (and $) for a trailer. Or get the trailer, put the bike on the trailer and throw all your gear/tools/parts in the bed. A 2001 Ranger with a 4 banger runs about 5K and keeps the wear off of your 5-series.

Who cares that your tow vehicle isn't a rare German sedan. The reason that people with common sense don't use BMWs cars for tow vehicles is because it's not cost effective. And here's a good question, where the hell are you gonna get a hitch receiver for your 5-series? How much is it gonna cost? Wear and tear on that car because of towing is gonna cost a lot more in the long run than the cost of the pickup.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #25
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
You can't have your cake and eat it too. ANY Ford Ranger will haul your Italian scoot with absolutely no problems, and the 2-wheel drive models have less ground clearance (and are less expensive) than the 4x4 versions, so getting the bike in the bed is much easier and negates the need (and $) for a trailer. Or get the trailer, put the bike on the trailer and throw all your gear/tools/parts in the bed. A 2001 Ranger with a 4 banger runs about 5K and keeps the wear off of your 5-series.

Who cares that your tow vehicle isn't a rare German sedan. The reason that people with common sense don't use BMWs cars for tow vehicles is because it's not cost effective. And here's a good question, where the hell are you gonna get a hitch receiver for your 5-series? How much is it gonna cost? Wear and tear on that car because of towing is gonna cost a lot more in the long run than the cost of the pickup.
I guess my argument is.. For a few thousand more I could have a nice, fully loaded, german sedan. The 4 banger ranger is a gas pig as well, sure it has a bed, but that's about as much as an advantage as it has. Highway for the ranger is only 24mpg (brand new), compared to the 21 of the BMW. I also looked at full sized F150's. But again, it has a bed, other then that it's just a big ass truck. I can find a hitch online for about $200 for the 5 series, and I can install it myself.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #26
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I guess my argument is.. For a few thousand more I could have a nice, fully loaded, german sedan. The 4 banger ranger is a gas pig as well, sure it has a bed, but that's about as much as an advantage as it has. Highway for the ranger is only 24mpg (brand new), compared to the 21 of the BMW. I also looked at full sized F150's. But again, it has a bed, other then that it's just a big ass truck. I can find a hitch online for about $200 for the 5 series, and I can install it myself.
All I'm saying is this, you can easily pick up a small truck for cheap that gets better highway gas mileage than the BMW. And the only thing you'd use the truck for is hauling your bike to and from trackdays, not commuting to/from work. I'm not saying to not get the BMW, but it was not designed/intended to be used in that manner. Use the proper tool for the job.

And FWIW, my V-6 Ranger got better than 26 mpg in town until the day I sold it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Last edited by MikeSP1; 11-23-2008 at 05:51 AM..
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #27
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
KIA... that's a pos
Hey don't pick on my poor Kia

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #28
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

I guess it depends on the area. Around here BMW's and Porsche are a dime a dozen.

You might want to check the BMW forums. Seems both cars you are interested in have some electrical gremlins. I would get an extended warranty for either one.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #29
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

We have an R1200RT, and have been looking at a light tourer for me. No German cars though
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #30
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Anyone who has lived in Germany/Europe knows that this man has made a valid decision. I've seen Mercedes towing trailers. We had a hitch on my Dad's old Eldorado when I was a kid. I plan to put a hitch on my Bonneville to go to Daytona next year. My point is that the man can easily find hitch for that car and it's tow rated(V-8 anyway) a class II tow vehicle. He can get a "flat tongue" receiver hidden hitch at U-Haul for about $250 installed. Why would ANYONE buy a second vehicle to do something TWICE a year,which was this man's stated purpose?

For the record,I owned a "4 banger" S-10 and it SUCKED for towing! The fuel mileage was HORRIBLE! I was going to Daytona in a "caravan" and I had to stop way more times than guys driving Navigators and Escalades!

I know that I do the same thing but it is humorous to see people form opinions about things they know absolutely nothing about. I worked for U-Haul for a couple years and they sell hitches for pretty much ANY vehicle you can name! BTW I've seen Goldwings tow a small trailer with a sportbike on it in Daytona several times!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote