Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

I am 5' 7" and my in-seam is 31". I ride an R6s, stock height. Did not shave the seat. I am on the balls of my feet, not flat-footed.

My friend is 5' and also rides an R6s which was lowered 2" for her. She has not shaved the seat.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

She really wants to be able to pretty much flat foot any bike she has, it's pretty "hilly" where we ride and she hates the balancing act she has to do while stopped at the top of those hills.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I'm 5'-6" BUT I have a very short inseam - 26". I ride my SV at the track on tipie toes - makes starts a little iffy but otherwise I manage ok. My street bike is a Honda SuperHawk, it's lowered without links - Louie did it on one of our trips after I dropped it in a gas station. I can tip toe it but have ridden enough now that it's not an issue. I started riding on a VFR800 that I couldn't even tip toe - I could touch one side with a butt slide. It comes down to what she's comfortable with. Good luck!

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
it's a good name, my given is rachel, but I prefer rae...

I can't stand the thought of lowering a bike, having ridden them it makes me shudder at the loss of performance, small tho it may be! My friend had the 250 and got links to lower it and it met her needs. I'd try that, then when she is comfortable, take it back to stock if she wants.
You probably don't get much teasing at your name, not like I do with my last name. I think Rachel is a great name...Ever rent that movie "One night with the king"? Good Rachel in that one I seem to remember.

My wife is 5'3" and has a pretty short inseam that limited her bike choices. She liked the Ninja 250 (1st gen) cause it has a 29 in seat height but after all is said it goes back to confidence, like Lauralynne. If they can muster enough confidence or master the butt slide the seat height isn't that big an issue. Weight of the bike on the other hand sometimes is with the height impaired as it has to lean a great deal further when one footing it.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!

Last edited by smileyman; 12-26-2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: sp
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
You probably don't get much teasing at your name, not like I do with my last name. I think Rachel is a great name...Ever rent that movie "One night with the king"? Good Rachel in that one I seem to remember.

My wife is 5'3" and has a pretty short inseam that limited her bike choices. She liked the Ninja 250 (1st gen) cause it has a 29 in seat height but after all is said it goes back to confidence, like Lauralynne. If they can muster enough confidence or master the butt slide the seat height isn't that big an issue. Weight of the bike on the other hand sometimes is with the height impaired as it has to lean a great deal further when one footing it.
That's her problem or where the lack of confidence comes in, is the leaning on one foot with the weight of the bike, she's struggled on a few occassions to keep it upright at a stop sign. I need to find out what her inseam is. The ninja 500 has a dry weight of 388lbs, the GSXR and CBR 600s are 354 and 345 dry which might be just enough of a difference to give her an added bit of confidence in those type of situations. or she could just wear the KIZZ boots and be done with it LOL....
Old 12-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I made my wife prove she was serious about having her own bike by learning on my YZF600R. It was 488 lbs although it only had a 32 in seat height. Then I showed her I loved her by riding on the pillion giving her alot more weight to juggle. After that she handles the little 250 just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHell View Post
I am 5' 7" and my in-seam is 31". I ride an R6s, stock height. Did not shave the seat. I am on the balls of my feet, not flat-footed.

My friend is 5' and also rides an R6s which was lowered 2" for her. She has not shaved the seat.
I love them shaved too but i am not sure if I ever saw a woman that had to shave her seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
I'm 5'-6" BUT I have a very short inseam - 26". I ride my SV at the track on tipie toes - makes starts a little iffy but otherwise I manage ok. My street bike is a Honda SuperHawk, it's lowered without links - Louie did it on one of our trips after I dropped it in a gas station. I can tip toe it but have ridden enough now that it's not an issue. I started riding on a VFR800 that I couldn't even tip toe - I could touch one side with a butt slide. It comes down to what she's comfortable with. Good luck!

26" inseam? wow. You would be the perfect sportbike pillion companion!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
26" inseam? wow. You would be the perfect sportbike pillion companion!
Pillion? no thanks.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #18
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Pillion? no thanks.
My wife is the same wants to have her own ride
Old 12-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #19
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Moto: Tards

Quote:
Pillion? no thanks.
even better!
xx CURVE xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #20
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

As mentioned, confidence is KEY. If she is comfortable riding, she can ride anything, regardless of height or bike, but until she gets there, go ahead and lower that bike.

On the kiss boots, firstcherokeekid here on the site is 5', and in all the years I've known her, has ridden an rc51 at stock height. She compensates by wearing heeled boots, even to having custom soles added to a pair. She can ride anything on 2 wheels, because she has the confidence and has learned the skills needed. Good luck to your wife, keep us posted!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote