Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

It used to depend on the group... but either lead or sweep, not ever in the middle. The middle is icky.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #22
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Back when I had a usual riding group I always liked to be second. I'm always faster if I have a rider in front of me to follow. I watch his body language and where he's looking and it's like I can see around the mountain and know when a corner is coming up. And it gives me reassurance that there's nothing major in the road in front of me. Of course when I'm riding with a group of racers I can't always keep up that pace...
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #23
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Where do you normally ride position-wise with your regular pack of riders?

Where do you prefer to ride position-wise with your pack?

Upfront, middle, in back?
I used to automatically take the back spot; when I started out and knew I was the slowest, I didn't want to hold anyone up, and I wanted to be able to watch other rider's lines. By over time, I've kinda migrated to mid pack. I'm not fadt, but I'm no longer the slowest.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Back when I had a usual riding group I always liked to be second. I'm always faster if I have a rider in front of me to follow. ...
Me too! The difference is huge for me and I now prefer to follow someone I know well. On my own I hardly push it and am slow....put me behind someone and I'm right with them. It's a confidence thing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
I used to automatically take the back spot; when I started out and knew I was the slowest, I didn't want to hold anyone up, and I wanted to be able to watch other rider's lines. By over time, I've kinda migrated to mid pack. I'm not fadt, but I'm no longer the slowest.
I'm not at the back because I'm the slowest.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I'm not much of a 'group' guy.
Coulda fooled me.

I typically ride 3-4 from the front. Our group rides don't really stay together, but we stop every 15 or so miles for everyone to catch up. Fastest guys in the front and progressively slower so that nobody holds anyone else up, other than one of the most experienced riders always takes sweep. The fast guys in our group are normally balling up the tires on the street, and I'm certainly not that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Back when I had a usual riding group I always liked to be second. I'm always faster if I have a rider in front of me to follow. I watch his body language and where he's looking and it's like I can see around the mountain and know when a corner is coming up. And it gives me reassurance that there's nothing major in the road in front of me. Of course when I'm riding with a group of racers I can't always keep up that pace...
You need to be careful when you are basically riding your buddy's bike and not your own. If something were to happen to him, you would run off directly where he did.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
Rider
Moto GP Star

Usually up front and always on the right side. The left side makes me nervous.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #27
t-homo
WSB Champion

Are we talking about super slab or twisties? A local cruiser guy got mad at us for not riding staggered formation and for getting split up when riding through the twisties. We are pretty sure its because he was butt hurt that he couldn't keep up with the two new riders that were out the day before.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #28
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i usually ride with older/slower/or new riders so I almost always take the back. I have a tendency to ride away otherwise. Not that I'm incredibly fast I just tend to be faster then those I ride with.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

To me, a group is two riders. Any more than that is hard to stay together when passing cars. And my riding partner is a Total Control instructor, so if I ride ahead of him I feel like I'm being critiqued.

I'll ride second going uphill as I like being behind his much-faster bike. Plus, it drives him nuts when he sees me in his mirrors. But I prefer riding lead going downhill. I brake early and often, and trail-brake through the curves. Seeing my brake light flash like a strobe light prevents him from seeing my crummy form.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #30
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

It is typically just Erik and I, so I follow him.

When we ride in a group, I'm usually right behind him. I like to follow him so I can gage how I can take the corner, etc. I used to watch his body positioning and stuff, but now that I've been riding for a while I don't pay as close attention.

The only group ride I was on this year I ended up in the back. I had no idea of the roads and the surface of the roads were not to my liking so I slowed way down. However, there were a couple guys that I did NOT like following because they braked in every stinking corner which totally threw me off. So I would like to have been in front of them.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote